european breakdown cover.

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

brookie
Bongonaut

european breakdown cover.

Post by brookie » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:08 pm

Just got ours sorted with www.europeanbreakdowncover.com. With greenflag, 14 year old bongo, 5 people. Very comprehensive cover, comparable to our AA cover of last year, but half the price. £65.86 for 16 days. Greenflag won't do it themselves because of 8 seats for some reason, but this company will through their agent. I queried it with greenflag and they said that was fine through a second party, but they can't do it themselves (?).

Hope this is of help.

Regards,

Mark.
dvisor
Supreme Being

Re: european breakdown cover.

Post by dvisor » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks for the link - will give it a try. Europ assistance just quoted £80.54 and RAC £116.91 (incl member discount). Still looking...
Two tonne tin drum
borntobag

Post by borntobag » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:10 am

Good link, my breakdown cover came out at £65.86 to. Much cheaper than anything else i found.
However and a big however, my bongo was registered on Nov 1995 making it in the 15year + category, this site throws a tantrum and wont give you a quote then.
So for me, its back to the AA.
flossie
Tribal Elder

Post by flossie » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:28 am

On here there is a thread for annual UK and European breakdown cover for 65 ! A number of us took it out including those with older models and I've had to call them twice ... Left lights on and blowout ( turns out the winder is missing )superb service - they are consistently Which Best Buy ... id have to check the name but others might recall .., ?
Liz
'99 V6 White over Silver - as yet unconverted but I may be converted!
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:32 am

My annual UK recovery with RAC is also up for renewal now, so I thought I'd see what my options were for combined UK & Europe with a 14 year Bongo.

These are the options I've come up with so far:

1) RAC Joint Roadside & Recovery (with 15% discount as an Arrival member) = £119.55
Plus
Europ Assistance single trip cover for 19 days = £80.54
Total £200

2) RAC Joint Roadside & Recovery (with 15% discount as an Arrival member) = £119.55
Plus
European Breakdown Cover single trip cover for 19 days (with Green Flag) = £75.55
Total £195

3) Britannia Rescue UK Recovery and European Assist (includes partner and another vehicle - Annual) = £210.00

4) Quoteline Direct (with Mondial Assistance and includes Europe) = £59

5) RAC Joint Roadside & Recovery (with 15% discount as an Arrival member) = £119.55
Plus
RAC European Breakdown single trip cover for 19 days = £116.91
Total £236

Quoteline direct only covers vehicles less than 16 years old (so I'm OK at the moment), and I think is only for one vehicle - so I'd have to take out another policy for our other car. But at that price...! Has anyone had cause to call them out? Or any experience of Mondial assistance?

I haven't checked this out properly yet, by Britannia accepted a vehicle over 16 years old when it quoted, so maybe that's a longer term option. At the moment, I think Britannia is my preferred one. It's £10-15 dearer than the first two options, but it will cover multiple trips.
Two tonne tin drum
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:49 am

Just been on the phone to Britannia, and they confirmed that there is no age restriction on recovery :D

£210 for UK and Europe assistance (including home, roadside, recovery etc.), for any car my wife or I drive. Cover in Europe is up to 180 days. Trailer or caravan is included. Mazda Bongo was on their database, so no problems there.

Quoteline Direct looks good, but decided on Britannia for peace of mind.
Two tonne tin drum
borntobag

Post by borntobag » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:24 pm

Just been on a few comparison websites and found cover from £60 ish on all of them.
On the money supermarket website I found a company called "first call" who would cover the Bongo and a trailer/caravan upto 25ft, 5 people and recover to uk (value of car dependant) for £77.
All that for 1 years cover and with a maximum of 6 callouts allowed in that year! seems to good to be true, which usaually means it is.

Trouble with insurance of any kind, the only way of finding out if is any good is to be unfortunate enough to have to make a claim.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:04 pm

mine is included with my Bongo insurance.... £80... full breakdown and annual cover over the channel.... :D needless to say I won't be over there all year but it's good to have.... I guess the small print and vehicle age is the biggest issue for us....watching for the Insurance companies opt out clauses... [-X
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
flossie
Tribal Elder

Post by flossie » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:58 pm

Yes quoteline Direct is who a number of us are through they are excellent and I had them out twice - they commit to within 1 hr :D delighted with them
Liz
'99 V6 White over Silver - as yet unconverted but I may be converted!
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:04 pm

join CSMA Club for £15 a year and get Britannia with Eurocover for £72 + cheap ferry deals
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:25 pm

flossie wrote:Yes quoteline Direct is who a number of us are through they are excellent and I had them out twice - they commit to within 1 hr :D delighted with them
Was that with Green Flag or Mondial? It looks like new policies are with Mondial.
Two tonne tin drum
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:26 pm

dandywarhol wrote:join CSMA Club for £15 a year and get Britannia with Eurocover for £72 + cheap ferry deals
Looked into that, but unfortunately not eligible to join CSMA :(
Two tonne tin drum
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:51 pm

dvisor wrote:
dandywarhol wrote:join CSMA Club for £15 a year and get Britannia with Eurocover for £72 + cheap ferry deals
Ermmm................over a thousand possible employment routes to use as eligibility - I've never been a civil servant, never mind slept with one - they really aren't that bothered about eligibility IMO - just happy to get yer money 8)
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:15 pm

dandywarhol wrote:
dvisor wrote:
Ermmm................over a thousand possible employment routes to use as eligibility - I've never been a civil servant, never mind slept with one - they really aren't that bothered about eligibility IMO - just happy to get yer money 8)
Maybe I'll give them a call then. According to their website, the list of qualifying organisations can be found here https://www.csmaclub.co.uk/eligibility/A - but nothing that matches any I have been employed by/member of :( I thought I might find UNISON on there (I used to be in NALGO a lifetime ago), but no joy.
Two tonne tin drum
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:32 pm

dvisor wrote:
dandywarhol wrote:Ermmm................over a thousand possible employment routes to use as eligibility - I've never been a civil servant, never mind slept with one - they really aren't that bothered about eligibility IMO - just happy to get yer money 8)
Maybe I'll give them a call then. According to their website, the list of qualifying organisations can be found here https://www.csmaclub.co.uk/eligibility/A - but nothing that matches any I have been employed by/member of :( I thought I might find UNISON on there (I used to be in NALGO a lifetime ago), but no joy.
Thanks for prompting me to go back and check again. I gave them a call, and I'm not directly eligible myself, but my brother-in-law (who works for Royal Mail) is, and can introduce me as a member. It seems my wife is also eligible, because she worked a couple of months for the DHSS 30 years ago!
Two tonne tin drum

Return to “Going Abroad”