Cam Belt Rotation?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sparkymik
Bongolier

Cam Belt Rotation?

Post by sparkymik » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:23 am

Hi All just doing a service on the Bongo did all the belts, filters and lubes just got the cam belt off and in the fact sheet it mentions 'Rotate the belt in normal direction to check the timing marks line up' and I'm not sure if it rotates clock/anti clock any one know?, the fact also mentions 'Allow thee hours for this' :shock: :lol: in anticipation of the great wealth of the Bongo repository of knowlage coming to my aid I thank you all =D>

Sparky
The Bongo has gone. Long live The Bongo

Hymer Camp Swing 544/Fiat Ducato 2.3jtd
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Cam Belt Rotation?

Post by teenmal » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:56 am

Hi sparkymik,

If you rotate the crank shaft clockwise,the cam belt will probably turn anti clock owing to it being driven by a gear from the crank shaft.Hope this makes sense..

Cheers Mal..
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:17 pm

Is it possible to crank the starter and see which way things turn? (Not sure if this is practical, but someone will know).
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:23 pm

Bob wrote:Is it possible to crank the starter and see which way things turn? (Not sure if this is practical, but someone will know).
Hi,owing to the fact that the belt has been removed,and this is an interference engine, turning the engine with the starter will result in a lot of bent bits. [-X

Cheers Mal..
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:24 pm

Ahh, best not to do that then. :oops:
longhaul8
Tribal Elder

Post by longhaul8 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:41 pm

I would rotate it clockwise working on the asumption the belt is fitted when you are rotateing the engine and given you will proberly be useing the bolt in the middle of the pully to rotate the fly wheel or belt pully what ever you want to call it.

It would def be clockwise otherwise you would be undoing the bolt that holds the pully in place if that makes any sence to you.
sparkymik
Bongolier

Post by sparkymik » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:16 pm

teenmal wrote:Hi sparkymik,

If you rotate the crank shaft clockwise,the cam belt will probably turn anti clock owing to it being driven by a gear from the crank shaft.Hope this makes sense..

Cheers Mal..
Hi Mal end this is from the factsheet

Next you need to line up the pulley marks. The cambelt is actually driven by the
fuel injector pump rather than the crankshaft;

sparkymik
Bongolier

Post by sparkymik » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:18 pm

longhaul8 wrote:I would rotate it clockwise working on the asumption the belt is fitted when you are rotateing the engine and given you will proberly be useing the bolt in the middle of the pully to rotate the fly wheel or belt pully what ever you want to call it.

It would def be clockwise otherwise you would be undoing the bolt that holds the pully in place if that makes any sence to you.
Yeah this is the way I'm thinking also but I need to 100% sure this is a £2500 question and failure is as Nasa says not an option 8)

Sparky

longhaul8
Tribal Elder

Post by longhaul8 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:25 pm

Well i have never done a bongo cam belt. But i have done one on a rover sdi and a audi 80 these both turnned clockwise and i can not see any reason a bongo would be any differant.
sparkymik
Bongolier

Post by sparkymik » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:39 pm

'turned by getting underneath, removing the under tray and using a big
adjustable, but this means jacking up: if you can get a six-face socket (i.e. with a
hexagon inside) it will be more inclined to stay on the nut too. Don't worry about
undoing the nut, with the glowplugs out it turns over nicely.'

Hi longhaul this is also from the fact sheet(see above) it hints at anti clock rotation as it mentions undoing the injection pump pulley nut/bolt, the Bongo is on ramps with the engine tray out so access is not a prob but the fac has a scary lack of detail that can make for nervousness cheers for the input tho =D>

Sparky

longhaul8
Tribal Elder

Post by longhaul8 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:00 pm

I see what you mean reading the extract from the fact sheet.

Like they say a little knowlage is a dangerous thing esp in my case :roll: :roll: :roll:

i must get round to emailing ian for a password reminder to the fact sheets.

Hope all goes well and when do you want me to drop mine round ? so you can do the belts on it aswell :lol: :lol: :lol:
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:04 pm

Just taken a look at the manual. It says, and I quote:

'Align the timing mark on the fuel injection pump pulley by rotating the crankshaft clockwise'
Steve
steviebongo
Tribal Elder

Post by steviebongo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:35 pm

I just did a belt on Friday for a customer,the camshaft marks align up @ 12 o'clock and the pump sprocket around 10 ish there is a mark on that pulley and a pointer on the engine.I think it's a 38 mm socket for the crank and turn it clockwise .

Cheers Stevie
sparkymik
Bongolier

Post by sparkymik » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks to all who helped out with my cambelt change, it's now done an' dusted new belts filters ARB's and droplinks all round,two days work and the Bongo is running sweet no clunks knocks or strange noises,very satisfying to have it all finished, I did find another job to do while underneath the nearside steering boot is split, so as this is an mot failure item I will have to get it done before July, it never ends

Sparky

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:39 pm

sparkymik wrote:Thanks to all who helped out with my cambelt change, it's now done an' dusted new belts filters ARB's and droplinks all round,two days work and the Bongo is running sweet no clunks knocks or strange noises,very satisfying to have it all finished, I did find another job to do while underneath the nearside steering boot is split, so as this is an mot failure item I will have to get it done before July, it never ends

Sparky

...but at least some of it is ended - well done =D> :lol: 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”