Trip Details

Plan and chat about this joint meeting with the Russian Bongo owners club.

Moderator: helen&tony

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Trip Details

Post by helen&tony » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi Chris
That's the next thing...trying to get folk together to see if it's possible to get a block booking on the ferry, then organise who is convoying with who.
If everyone replies in the next fortnight, I'll mail the campsites, reserve a block, and you can individually sort out a firm booking with the owners.
I should hope to get this organised soon, and then we can discuss further about arranging spares, and contingency plans for emergencies.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
jone_it

Post by jone_it » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:14 pm

I looked at your proposed route and don't understand... why on Earth, Romania?... With its rocky-shaky undeveloped roads, poor infrastructures and high-criminal localities? Why wouldn't you prefer nice fast-track motorways of more tourism-developed Croatia and Slovenia, and more calm and peaceful Serbia? Here

http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Itinerai ... eConso=4.2

I can see the route having just 5 hrs out of motorways, all mainly in Bulgaria. Last camp can be made somewhere in Croatia then the last leap through Serbia w/o any more camping. Just look at the presumed route via Romania here

http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Itinerai ... eConso=4.2

and spot more than 7.5 hours on curly mountain roads (note hell a lot of "bend to right/left" signs!).

Ok, I'm not about telling you guys what kind of roads you'd want (particularly as I probably wouldn't go in Bongo by various reasons, but may be taking a jet instead to meet all of you) but I just wish to warn what it is about, so everybody would stay alerted and don't complain nobody warned them at early stages. ^_^
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:32 am

Hi
Jone-it...
The route indicated is the route taken by all courier and postal services, as they are all EU countries...Slovenia may be O.K., but there are still border problems and the odd squabble in the other Western Balkan countries...Romania and Bulgaria are still primitive and hardly obey EU regulations, I'll grant you, but the route chosen through Romania is neatly by-passing the high-crime areas , into High-Crime Bulgaria :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...just have dark glasses, and you're O.K. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously, it is a more hassle -free route.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
CumbriaBongoBulls
Junior Bongonaut

Post by CumbriaBongoBulls » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:48 am

Hi Helen and others,
I think that Ian's route looks good. However we will be leaving England in the middle of July and spending some time in Austria and then northern Romania on the way. We could link up with the rest of the convoy at Sibiu for the last leg into Bulgaria.
I have been reading a Swiss report of travel in Romania. It says that the roads are slow with few fuel stations off the main routes. It also advises not to travel in the hours of darkness as there are unlit carts, animals and people using the roads and it is difficult to see the potholes. Otherwise avoid leaving your Bongo in unattended areas in large towns and cities.
The Bongo is ideally suited to this sort of terrain and we are looking forward to travelling slowly taking in the character of the countryside.
I will let you know if we want to book into the campsite at Salista. We have already booked our ferry crossings with Norfolk Line .This is not the fastest or most direct crossing, but the new ships are comfortable and the prices are not bad.
Regards,
Phil
Life is for Living!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:55 am

Hi Phil
As I said on a previous post, I use couriers a lot to get things here, and it's similar if not the same route depending on courier....and they tend to know what they're doing :wink: :wink: . The roads may be bad, but a lot of the alarm about night driving also applies in Bulgaria...some organisations advise against night travel in Bulgaria.
Most problems are in the old days in Romania, when lorries went through the mountains...as they got slower, and came to almost walking pace round mountain bends, thieves would jump aboard and throw stuff off the lorry until it picked up speed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...however, I don't think you'll get too much hassle :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Regarding leaving vehicles unattended in Romania, if you go to the larger towns, there may be a hotel which has a car-park with a security guard...just a fee payable...but that's the same in any European City...just use common sense. If you go to Bucharest...quite a historic city, with interesting architecture, ask for the Hotel Europa and park there!
The quickest way to navigate in Romania and Bulgaria in a city, is to find a Taxi, and ask how much to lead the way to where you want to go, while you follow....You'll have to literally nail yourself to their bumper and drive like the wind :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....but I tell you this...you'll never have so much fun in your life....the best fairground ride money can buy!!!!!
If you get a chance to go to the Dracula castles...can you take piccies?....I haven't done that, due to the dogs!
Poenari Castle was Vlad Tepes home, but the popular Bran Castle is often thought to be his home, but was only a summer residence. Hunyad castle is where he was imprisoned. Lots of stuff to see...take your garlic :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
jone_it

Post by jone_it » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:59 pm

helen&tony: Ok, I'm glad you know what you do. ^_^ Because we both know that referring to EU is not appealing at all in this case and states of the borders also strongly depend on countries themselves. If Croatia/Slovenia/Serbia's borders are of the state of old-time borders of Hungary/Czech/Slovakia (I don't know if it's the case), then I'd go for it: crossing took me literary 5 mins each border (subject to all proper documentation). If, OTOH, they're nearly of state of Ukrainian/Russian borders (2-3+ hours as a rule + lots of documentary hassles), I'd recommend to keep them off like a plaque.

So, experience tells everything and you seem knowing what you're talking about. Another thing that I wished to note to those who're unaware, AFAIK, you'll still experience border crossing Hungary/Romania and Romania/Bulgaria (correct me if wrong) because their Shengen joining plans were postponed to 2012+.
maxmataz
Bongolier

Post by maxmataz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:57 pm

& of course if you have a dog then going through Serbia nullify's the pet passport, so you would either have to stay in EU for 6months before returning to UK or 6months in quarantine kennel in the UK. :(
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:30 pm

Hi Max...
Yes...I wouldn't ever go through Serbia with an animal, anyway...and there are often cross-border squabbles there anyway...the latest was when they wouldn't allow a wreath to one of Bulgaria's heroes house in Serbia, on Independence Day...Vasil Levski was a hero of the war of independence against the Turks, and his picture hangs just about everywhere here...so it was one hell of a snub! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
jone_it

Post by jone_it » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:32 pm

Alternatively, you may have an embedded chip in your pet, then all the restrictions relaxed enough to get acceptable. Our cat used to have it (RSPCA's job) but we didn't use the chance of using its benefits preferring holiday-cattery instead. BTW, nowadays it's possible to leave your dog not only in "group kennel" but also in dog-friendly families where pets feel almost at home. I've got a friend participating in a network of such temporary adopters.

P.S. I'm not telling you to not taking the pet with you but just highlighting that other acceptable alternatives do exist.
maxmataz wrote:& of course if you have a dog then going through Serbia nullify's the pet passport, so you would either have to stay in EU for 6months before returning to UK or 6months in quarantine kennel in the UK. :(
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:39 am

Hi Jone-it
Yes...a lot of the time the Slovenia route is O.K. probably...it's just that the lower western Balkan countries are sometimes a bit difficult...as with the major Bulgaria / Greece border at Kulata /Promachonas...normally O.K. but several occasions last year there were huge traffic queues with protesting farmers. There are now other crossings available.
With the Shengen Zone accession topic, Bulgaria and Romania are on their best behaviour , so crossings are likely to be good, however, accession is said to be unlikely, not because of meeting border criteria, but the EU are currently worried about Bulgaria having access to the Shengen Information System...there is still a lot of organised crime in both countries...I can send you an English speaking link to the Newspapers here...fascinating reading...but only if you take it with a pinch of salt!
Cheers
Helen
maxmataz
Bongolier

Post by maxmataz » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:45 pm

Alternatively, you may have an embedded chip in your pet, then all the restrictions relaxed enough to get acceptable.
Not really sure what you mean't by this but if you mean't that with a micro chip in your pet allows you to go through Serbia, then that is not the case. The chip is a necessity of the Pet Passport Scheme but Serbia is a country that is not within the countries you are allowed to go in the scheme.

unfortunately I have 4 dogs & I am going for 3months, would need a mortgage to pay the kennels :shock: Besides I love their company :)
tim & angie
Bongonaut

Post by tim & angie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi

We've had a look at the route proposed by Ian and the campsites and all looks good to us. We like the idea of pre-booking the campsites for evening meets so count us in. Are people planning on leaving from Calais on Saturday morning 23rd July?, 5 days travelling then gets us arriving at the rally site on Wednesday eve. We are quite keen to get the shuttle or ferry booked earliest to get the best prices, is it worth looking at group bookings?

Is everyone going to the Bongo-bash in June, be good to put faces to names.

Tim & Angie
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:24 am

Hi Tim & Angie
Yes...that's the next stage...as soon as we have all the names of who wants to stay where, I was hoping to get a discount booking for the ferry / chunnel
I will have information by the weekend (hopefully)
Cheers
Helen
chrispreece1

Post by chrispreece1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi,
Just to let you know that the Harwich Bongoliers (Janet, Tom and Chris) have already booked because the preferred sailing was fully booked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We leave on Sat 23rd and arrive Hook of Holland 16.15. We are aiming to meet up with everyone else at Cologne, presumably on the 24th.
Am I correct about the following details?
Sun 24th Camp at Cologne (291 KM from Hook of Holland)
Mon 25th Camp at Linz (736 km)
Tue 26th Camp at Budapest (433 km)
wed 27th Camp at Sibiu (608km)
Thu 28th Camp at Veliko (433km)
Cheers Chris
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi
Excellent...do you want me to arrange a booking at the campsites?...I had mentioned that I'll arrange that if those wanting me to book let me know by this weekend. Nobody else has contacted, and I'll start contacting the campsites on Monday.
i'll make a few more enquiries by e-mail on other topics, as there is more information to come!
Cheers
Helen

Return to “Bulgaria 2011”