Fault code 1228

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Portlysurfer

Fault code 1228

Post by Portlysurfer » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:24 pm

Many thanks to all techie posters on this forum, past and present.

My recent purchase of a 2000 model bongo, came to worries after the glow plug light stared flashing, and power loss (no turbo) resulted. :cry:

After many a read on here of some old posts, i changed a few parts, sent under warranty from discount trucks (Newbury), with little effect. :|

I discovered 1228 is the code for waste-gate failed- open under pressure.

i followed the advice on here of changing the small solenoid attached to the turbo and promised that if it worked £10 would be donated to charity, and the joining fee sent off the this club......

To my relief it worked, my holiday to North Devon went ahead as planned. :D

The charity donation will be sent of shortly, and the club joined this week!

Once again, many thanks to all who helped by posting details on here of previous faults and how to possibly solve them. =D>
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Re: Fault code 1228

Post by mikexgough » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:30 pm

Glad it was all sorted easily....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:11 pm

That's good to hear, and thanks for letting us know the cure, it helps other members with similar problems. =D> HERE'S THE LINK to Portysurfers previous post, the advice given and other links, for anyone else with a new shaped Bongo and fault code 1228.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:19 am

Just to give a balanced view of this fault, there is a design flaw with this age vehicle and especially if the car is left standing or doesnt get used regularly and seizes the wastegate actuator in place, which in turn makes the valve work harder and eventually kills it, replacing the valve with a new 1 will cure the problem, but eventually it will come back, sometimes it can free off with regular use but not always.
Julian
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:19 pm

One of our members had a seized actuator in his new shape Bongo, they cleaned up the wastegate actuator and replaced it. But the valve had already failed so also needed to be replaced.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
Gandalf The White
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Gandalf The White » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:52 am

Hi there.

I had a longstanding problems with our 2002 Diesel Bongo with the dreaded going into limp mode and glow plug light flashing once engine was warm and sat in traffic. I cleared all the old fault codes and found the two fault codes being displayed were P0400 and P1228. Spent hours researching this trawling for answers through the forums, FB groups and it's also well detailed on the Wastegate Actuator factsheet in the members section. It's obvious people have spent hours on this, but nothing seems to give a permanent guaranteed long term fix. After much head scratching I discovered Mark at The Bongo Master in Leicestershire, really good, decent, honest bloke, who knows Bongos inside and out, he has great reviews from all his customers. Mark immediately knew what the problem was. It's a known issue with later Bongos, due to combination of a change of turbo design and poorer quality grade diesel in the UK. Mark charges £600 to retrofit an older turbo from an earlier model and changes the relevant ducting and piping to go with it. The van then ran as sweet as a nut, with no loss in performance at all. Just thought I'd share, as it could save somebody alot of time, money and hassle in the future.

https://www.thebongomaster.co.uk/

Return to “Techie Stuff”