Devon/Cornwall 5 Day Trip – Itinerary Advice

Moderator: Doone

Heart of Midlothian

Devon/Cornwall 5 Day Trip – Itinerary Advice

Post by Heart of Midlothian » Mon May 31, 2010 12:09 pm

Never been to Devon/Cornwall before and looking for some advice. Would like to stay in different places with decent pubs within walking distance. Happy to wild camp or campsites, no dogs & no kids on this trip.

Interests include walking, cycling & real ale!

Looking to stay for 5-6 nights, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
dandemann8
Supreme Being

Re: Devon/Cornwall 5 Day Trip – Itinerary Advice

Post by dandemann8 » Mon May 31, 2010 3:16 pm

The Jamaica Inn on Bodmin is well worth a visit. :D

http://jamaicainn.co.uk/

Wherever you drive in Cornwall you will find plenty to do and see. :D
Bongo no more........... ;-(
rooster
Bongolier

Post by rooster » Mon May 31, 2010 5:27 pm

Just a few ideas to get you started:
I speak for Cornwall so must mention Falmouth - nice little town on the banks of the river, two lovely beaches, lake, docks.

St Ives - Tate Gallery, beaches, harbour, narrow cobbled streets, full of history

Truro - interesting little city, beautiful cathedral

Eden Project near St Austell - everyone knows about this fantastic place

Lost Gardens of Heligan near Megavissey - fascinating.

There are lots, lots more beautiful places in Cornwall, and wherever you go you will find pubs and pastie shops!!
No-one is perfect. There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in.
the janner vanner
Supreme Being

Post by the janner vanner » Mon May 31, 2010 5:44 pm

Hi, try this link

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =34&t=6707

I hope you have a great holiday
The Janner Vanner
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Mon May 31, 2010 5:46 pm

Can't help with Devon, or indeed East/North Cornwall (much) but I'm in the process of putting together a bit of a guide to this end of Cornwall for my fellow Bongo folk (it was originally for those people with children but I am getting a bit carried away now) but I'm doing it bit by bit, and as it's half term this week, all efforts have ceased.

However, I'll certainly second the advice of my neighbour, Rooster, and will also add the coast path (any of it, but the bit between St Ives and Porthcurno is well worth the effort (not all in one go, I might add - I did it over three days), as is the bit between Falmouth and Helford (or Helford and Falmouth, which possibly affords better views!!).

As far as cycling is concerned, have a look at the Cornwall County Council cycle trails page here http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=17685 for some ideas. A lot of effort has gone into creating some excellent cycle trails using the old mineral tramways over countryside which you would otherwise not see well from the road (if at all).

We've got some well regarded breweries in Cornwall - Skinners, St Austell (Hicks) and Sharps, not to mention the one at the Blue Anchor in Helston which makes Spingo (I don't drink, but I understand it's um ............. well, I suppose someone will be along soon who has tried it!!). There's also Cornish wine, as there are a few vineyards here too. Camel Valley, near Bodmin, is the largest.

Don't underestimate the size of Devon & Cornwall, however. You'd be hard pushed to see much of both in 5 days. In fact you'd be on the go morning, noon and night to see much of Cornwall in 5 days.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
kev&caz
Bongonaut

Post by kev&caz » Mon May 31, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi

We visit St Ives a lot two of our sons live there. We have stayed at Balnoon Camp Site which is in Halsetown.
Balnoon Camp Site
Halsetown
St Ives
Cornwall
TR26 3JA

You can check our the reviews for the campsite at this web address http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/revie ... revid=1483

Sorry can't get the links to work.

It makes a good base for exploring Cornwall and there is a pub at the end of the road that does a good carvery. Parking in St Ives is a pain and we have been assured there is a local bus at the top of the road which is regular but haven't ever tried it as yet. Bear in mind if you don't fancy driving into St Ives.

Regards :D :D :D
Heart of Midlothian

Post by Heart of Midlothian » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:57 am

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated. I know 5 days is a bit short but its all my annual leave will stretch to until later in the year!
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:34 pm

I can highly recommend Ladys Mile at Dawlish, lovely camp with superb facilities and two big pools, one indoor one out, good clubhouse with fabulous entertainment, I know because the ents manager Sam Wrey is a friend and an awesome singer too,lol. If you do find your way there say hello for me tell him Boyo sent you,lol. They have a web site as well.
Darkstar
Bongolier

Post by Darkstar » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:51 pm

Tintagel, just magical
Got a Bongo for the Wife, Best trade-in ever
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:53 pm

Darkstar wrote:Tintagel, just magical
I beg to differ [-o< unless you are approaching Tintagel from the coast path. The village is very touristy indeed although credit where credit's due, the Tourist Information Centre/Visitor Centre in the car park on Bossinney Road is very interesting and King Arthur's Halls in the centre of the village equally so. It just means you have to go into the village :(

Likewise Newquay and Land's End. Newquay has the most fabulous beaches/coastline but is let down by the town, and Land's End is stunning but let down by the touristy stuff. For the latter I recommend a drive down the B3306 from St Ives and then down to Sennen Cove (on the right just short of Land's End). Park at Sennen and walk the coast to Land's End. It's not a difficult walk and takes about 25 minutes at normal walking pace (longer, of course if you linger for the views :D )

Before the fans/residents of Tintagel, Newquay and the Greater Land's End area come down on me like a ton of bricks, I am Cornish born and bred, a professional tour guide and self-styled ambassador for Cornwall. I have no axe to grind other than from experience of taking a great many visitors to those places. I cringe every time I am asked to take some more.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)

Return to “Devon & Cornwall/Kernow”