Steam Gathering weekend 23rd-25th July

Moderator: Muzorewa

springer

Re: Steam Gathering weekend 23rd-25th July

Post by springer » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:04 pm

Just read the thread, so know where it is now.

Will do our best to be there, for our first ever gathering.

Ian & Jane (humans)
Heskey & Kyra (canines)
PixieAndTheMoon
Supreme Being

Post by PixieAndTheMoon » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:29 pm

Hi Springer

you will be most welcome.

We are at Quarry Lane, Allithwaite, LA11 7QJ stick that on your sat nav or google map it and you will find us. It is the turning just after the post office and before the charity shop if you are coming up hill. Beware the speed humps though

Jo :)
PixieAndTheMoon
Supreme Being

Post by PixieAndTheMoon » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:49 pm

Friends, thank you so much for coming! That was one extreme bash for me, the bay walk - that was Harry's idea, the begger. I personally totally enjoyed it as did Sarah, stuck out in the middle of land you know by sight but just couldn't see any LOL and wondered where it was all gonna end. I know it was Kent's Bank but that wasn't anywhere to be seen on the Horizon.

Gosh ain't Cedric and his mate fit! ( I thought it was good PR that that made wait for the sign to follow them whilst they got a mile ahead so they could set up a signing session and have certificates ready) But the Guide Over Sands live on alms so that's cool. But It was too cold and wet, you have to keep moving.

Harry you need a bigger awning extension the night time sessions are too popular!

Saturday night I thought Bay walk once in a lifetime and I have done that, but it is Sunday now and the aches and pains have gone and yeah I would do it again.

Was really great to see seriously "old faces" and new LOL x

Thank you all

Jo x
JDS
Bongolier

Post by JDS » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:17 pm

Well we got home about 7.00pm after a detour to Arnside for some excellant fish and chips.
Jo and Sarah a big thankyou for organising a great weekend, good to meet all the friends old and new.
The Walk, if you would have asked me last night I would say never again but in hindsight it was fun. It starts of with a gentle 2 or so miles down the coast then a right turn and we head out over the sands, which sounds nice but heavy drizzle and little visibility, 5 maybe 6 miles crossing over rivers, the main river Kent crutch deep in water, then over salt marsh for the last couple of miles with ditches 3 to 4 ft deep and up to a metre wide it was very hard work on hands and knees at times. Considering i have dodgy lungs I did well to make it but Jeanette helped me thro. I think even Harry said it the hardest crossing he has made.
Would I do it again? Im not sure but after completing it there is a tremendous sense of achievement. Thanks Harry for making it happen.
All in all a great weekend.
See you all at thr next one

Dave
Dave & Jeanette
Auto-sleeper Broadway EL Duo Motorhome (A very overgrown Bongo)
Harry
Supreme Being

Post by Harry » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:11 pm

Well what a superb relaxing weekend (NOT) :lol: :lol:

I finall rolled the two miles home at 7.30pm and have been fast asleep ever since.

Sincere thanks to Jo, Chris and Sarah who put so much in to setting the weekend up. With 8 hookups now available this is now a superb meet venue, superb views over the Bay and local countryside, well drained flattish field and all mod cons on and off site.

With a small but select turnout we managed (just) to squeeze the jacobs join into my caravan awning on Friday night whilst most peeps sat around under the stars & glorious moon.

On Saturday, despite a lovely sunny start the weather deteriorated to a steady heavy drizzle persisting it down for the rest of the day.

Jo & Sarah, The JDSs, Karen(a), Alan (Blobber), and Tony (Mountaingoat) were daft enough to join me for the Cross Bay walk. Having been on the walk a few times I have to admit this was probably the toughest I've ever done. Eight miles, often out of sight of the coast in driving and persistant rain made it a real test of endurance. Atone point I'm sure our guide Cedric had decided to head for the Isle of Man!

We finally got back to the campsite just as it was getting dark. I bunked off home for a shower and a fish supper and returned to find the gang apparently attempting a bar4bie in the dark and rain....nutters.
Copius amounts of falling down juice followed in my awning resulting in a somewhat bleary collapse into bed about 1.30am.

I spent most of Sunday with Tommo at the Steam Gathering in lovely weather...returning about 3.00pm to find peeps still on site. One big advantage of 'exclusive use' sites.

Thanks to all that turned up. Lovely to see peeps again and as ever great company.

cheers

H 8)
http://watcherswildlife.co.uk

Towing a shed with a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6hdi vtr+
mobilecat
Supreme Being

Post by mobilecat » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:41 pm

I'm really sorry we didn't make it but I am glad a good time was had by all :)
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:37 am

Glad you all had a great time but one thing is lacking.................PHOTOS!

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:14 am

Great weekend - thanks to jo for organising the meet and thanks to harry for the bay walk -During the "gentle stroll" (not how i would have described it) up to the crossing point i was fully tempted by bobs cafe and the train back to camp but never could resist the temptation to paddle in the sea so I set off fully expecting to catch the trailor at half way point but obstinacy kicked in -(good thing i didnt know in advance about the gullys :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and no my aches and pains havnt gone yet but at least my feet are pain free -no shoes = no blisters.Thanks to mountain goat for lending me his pole and being my pace man and thanks to Alan for dragging me over the gulleys hope your back is better. -actually feeling quite proud of myself now its over 30 years since i did a walk that long in one go.(Mountain goat took some photos and i saw alans camera out at one point - not sure how photos come out in a pea souper :lol: :lol: )
While absent some-one had managed to leave the bedding in the rain #-o (he did redeem himself by proving there is such a thing as an all weather bbq ) -so a damp night followed but frankly too knackered to care. lol: :lol: :lol:Typically sunday weather was much better we were reluctant to leave at all but eventually did at about 5pm.
=D> =D> =D> roll on the next one but i think it will be some-ones elses turn to do the walk :lol: :lol: :lol:
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:26 pm

Well what can I add to all that, not much. Just don't wear tatty old trainers like I did or you too will end up with sore toes. Not being much of a gentleman I powered ahead towards the end and finished the first in our group, Yippee!. But mind you I did fall into one of the ditches near the end and had to be unceremoniously yanked out by a complete stranger. :oops:

Now here is what you are waiting for, the photos. All taken during the first half of the crossing. When you are looking and feeling like a drowned rat as I was towards the end of the walk the urge to get your camera out does not come very often. :?

Many thanks to Pixie and Harry for making all the arrangements.

Tony

Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Debs and David
Tribal Elder

Post by Debs and David » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:34 pm

Would like to say it looks like fun, but it doesn't :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't know why someone has a brolly up in the pics, I'm sure they ended up as wet as if they didn't have it up :D

Sorry to have missed the weekend, and seeing everyone again.
Debs & David

You Need Degas to Make De Van Gogh
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:53 pm

MountainGoat wrote: Image
Blimey, that looks like the Pilgrim's Way across to Lindisfarne in the old days :shock:
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:56 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: what a bunch of drips.

muz -not sure the holy pilgrims would have appreciated some of the profanities that escaped my lips occasionally. :oops:
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:33 pm

The main difference with the Lindisfarne walk is that there is about 10 times or more further to walk with no guide posts, lots of quicksand to avoid and deep channels to cross. :shock:
AndAndDen
Supreme Being

Post by AndAndDen » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:12 pm

Big Thankyou to Jo,Sarah & Chris for organising the meet =D> =D> .Had a brilliant time. What a lovely campsite with stunning views and a beautiful area. Thankyou Harry for the use of your Awning for Firday & Saturday evening =D> =D> . Great as always to meet the oldies :lol: & Newbies Sinner ( Andy & Carol ).And so nice to see Di & Cam =D> =D> . Well done all of you that did the walk =D> =D> . Just to say to Karena the PRAM :lol: :lol: . Thanks all for making it a great few days =D> .Will post pics later. Oh by the way Tony did you find your bowl .
Get a Life ,Get a Bongo. !!!
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:32 pm

No looks like it has gone on a walkabout Den. :(

Tony

Return to “North West”