Bored with Butties phase 7

Talk about non-Bongo stuff. BUT KEEP IT CLEAN....there are children watching. Smut, filth, and anything offensive will not be tolerated and removed immediately.

Moderator: Bob

Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Bored with Butties phase 7

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:09 pm

To paraphrase the great late Kenny Everett, welcome to phase 7, the phase that asks the question “Why didn’t we stop at phase 6.” #-o

Still got some of that turkey left over from Christmas?
Bored with turkey sandwiches and turkey curry?
Why do we always buy the biggest turkey we can find and then have to defrost it with a blowtorch on Christmas Eve and then cut it up with a chainsaw to get it in the oven? :?
Is there anything else we can think of doing other than turkey gateaux?
Or turkey trifle :?
Turkey icecream, perhaps?
g8dhe wrote:Hey that looks interesting, given the Mole grips, will Phase 7 be featuring how to cook Moles in a Bongo ? I'll go back to me hole ... :lol:
Funny you should mention that Geoff, for this week’s thrilling episode we return to the Hispanic theme with mole poblano de guajolote, (chilli & chocolate turkey :shock: ), the great festive Mexican dish from Puebla. Don’t be dismayed at the prospect of turkey smothered in chocolate sauce, we’re not talking Cadbury’s Dairy Milk or boiled Nutella here, this is unsweetened baking chocolate. After all, the Mexicans have been cultivating cocoa trees for thousands of years. :wink:

This dish is traditionally reserved for weddings, Birthdays and the Día de los Muertos festival (the day of the dead, a similar idea to weddings, I think :twisted: )

Now to do this properly you need a whole heap of things....
ancho chilies
mulato chilies
pasilla chilies
chocolate
black peppercorns
anise seeds
fennel seeds
coriander seeds
cinnamon stick
sesame seeds
cloves
onions
garlic
lard
almonds
peanuts
raisins
tomatoes
corn tortilla
salt
....and the sauce takes days to prepare & mature....
....and the recipe starts the same as all authentic Mexican recipes: “Steal a turkey....” Image
Anyway, for the el cheapo version, this is where these guys come in, they are the HomePride of the Mexican cookery world Image

Yes, I know, Asda don’t do this either. Some would call it cheating, I would argue that I’ve only got a limited timescale and, based on Pot Noodle being rated fairly highly in the Bongo-catering world, this must surely rate a score of 11/10 in comparison with fish-paste & cucumber butties :D

So, ignore all the above, boil the turkey pieces in water for an hour (or if you’re still using ex-Christmas turkey you’re already ahead of the game at this point :idea: ), keep the stock to mix with the mole paste, zap the turkey in lard :shock: in a frying pan to get that authentic Mexican taste, pour the mole sauce over the top....

....sprinkle with freshly toasted sesame seeds (ok, zap them in a blisteringly hot dry frying pan) and serve with refried beans, rice, guacamole, soured cream and flour tortillas. Simples! :wink:

Which reminds me – Why do Mexicans have to refry their beans? - Because they can’t do anything right first time Image
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Re: Bored with Butties phase 7

Post by mikexgough » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:36 pm

did you drink enough of the Tequila to get the worm?......... :wink:
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:41 pm

Ssssshhhertaintly not, that's awaiting the next victim :lol:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:36 pm

Hummm where can I find a Mexican supermarket in Worthing, and will they be offended if I pick it off the shelves with a Mole grip ;-) Actually it sounds rather good .. and I see we can get it in the UK http://www.mexgrocer.co.uk/Mole-Rico-Sp ... 16385.html
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:12 pm

That's where I get ours from, or Lupe Pinto's in Edinburgh :wink:
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:21 pm

Muz I am sat here mouth watering and I don't eat meat :shock: can't wait till the next installment =D> =D>
Keep the Faith

Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:57 pm

Excellent Paul.......keep `em coming =D> =D> =D> =D>

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:40 am

Fantastic - your ideas gets better every week (although I have to confess that I am not a great lover of turkey, chocolate or chillies, so I'd stick to a second helping of last week's delights).

If you can source some kangaroo rump, I'll give you a recipe to go with it. Only possible in your lunch hour with a pressure cooker (it takes a couple of hours in a saucepan). Dare you!!
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:43 am

Roo's yummy. Had it a few time when we were in Oz, in a kind of red wine sauce. Delisciouso. :D
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:45 am

Prefer ostrich myself =P~ (durmstick's great :wink: ), found roo a bit chewy, alright though.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:53 am

I've seen ostrich meat for sale in the UK (indeed have passed an ostrich farm somewhere on a back road around Bracknell/Windsor ish, in Berkshire) but how easy is it to get kangaroo here, I wonder?
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:02 am

Wow! What a range they have there. I should think Bongo is about the only thing they don't have. I see they do frogs' legs. Whilst not cheap, it's not as expensive as I would expect for such exotic stuff.
Alison

Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:06 am

Alison01326 wrote:If you can source some kangaroo rump, I'll give you a recipe to go with it. Only possible in your lunch hour with a pressure cooker (it takes a couple of hours in a saucepan). Dare you!!
You're on :wink:
Alison01326 wrote:....but how easy is it to get kangaroo here, I wonder?
Chester zoo. Easy peasy :D
Alison01326 wrote:I see they do frogs' legs. Whilst not cheap, it's not as expensive as I would expect for such exotic stuff.
The frog's legs I got were £7.50 for a 1kg box. But they don't do wildebeest :(
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:07 am

missfixit70 wrote:Here you go - http://www.osgrow.co.uk/ - mebe try a bit of zebra or croc? No bongo though :(
Hmmm, there's a good few ideas there. Stir-fried wildebeest à la Bongo :idea:
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:08 am

maxheadroom wrote:Muz I am sat here mouth watering and I don't eat meat :shock: can't wait till the next installment =D> =D>
Ok, phase 8 will not have caused death or harm to any animals. :wink:

Salad? :?

Return to “Off Message”