Severe Flooding in Cumbria - How are you all doing?

Moderator: Muzorewa

Dago & Mrs D
Supreme Being

Severe Flooding in Cumbria - How are you all doing?

Post by Dago & Mrs D » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:32 am

Looking at the news reports on BBC1 this morning, I hope that you are all ok up there!

We have had a fare old bashing of the wind & rain down here during November, but nothing compared to what you are experiancing. Fingers crossed & thinking of you all.

Dago & Mrs' D
TINCA TINCA

Re: Severe Flooding in Cumbria - How are you all doing?

Post by TINCA TINCA » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:49 am

Likewise. I always get a knot in my stomach when it just lashes down - non stop. Hope you are all coping.
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:06 am

I bet our resident rescue guy Harry has been busy . hope all are safe.
Lost without my Bongo.
alans00ty5
Bongolier

Post by alans00ty5 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:35 am

yes very good luck all.
2wd white v6 what alovely mover.
AndAndDen
Supreme Being

Post by AndAndDen » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:58 am

Same here hope all of you are ok. Watching the news this morning about Cockermouth who have had it bad .It must be devasting . Stay safe .
Get a Life ,Get a Bongo. !!!
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:17 am

ditto - and a round of applause for harry and the teams. =D> =D> =D>
Diane
Bongolier

Post by Diane » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:37 am

Morning all. Yes its pretty bad around here. The boys school closed yesterday lunchtime and it's also closed today. The river Bela in Milnthorpe burst its banks I believe but I havn't ventured out to look. Can just see it out of my bedroom window and the playing fields next to it look to be under water. I've got to get to Kendal to work this morning although my usual route is closed i'll find another way. Its not raining now but it's pretty windy. I'm heading to the other end of Kendal which I think is worst hit #-o. I have a friend who lives in Burneside which was on the national news last night. Her house backs onto the river Kent so i'm assuming she's proper flooded :( . My brother was flooded out a few years back and was out of his property for 6 months. It's all the sh*t that comes up out of the drains that causes the problems after all the waters run away too. Fortunately for us the worst of the weather is further up the north of the county. Don't know if any of you remember forum member 'rabbitsquasher'?- he lives in Workington i think, which is badly hit :( Hope he and Sharon and baby Jackson are OK.
I'm off out to work now and I'll take my camera with me - I'll report back later
Cheers for now
Di
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:31 pm

Seems that several bridges have been washed away and a policeman is missing. It must be devastating for the affected :( :(
I think I much prefer our droughts over here - we rarely get any serious flooding [-o<
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Harry
Supreme Being

Post by Harry » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi peeps

Spent last night coordinating things in MR Base in Kendal whilst the 'operational' members used our landies to assist the other emergency services with a taxi service and relief ambulances around Kendal & Burneside.

Stood down at 11.00am this morning as the weather here is improving and most roads are now open in the south of the county.

Lots of local flooding in fields but in the main few houses have been flooded.

On standby to go up to the north of the Lakes to assist.

Really bad news about the police officer. Unfortunately the police do not recieve the same level of water awareness training (or equipment) as the fire service and the rescue teams.

Hope everyone else is ok.

cheers

H
http://watcherswildlife.co.uk

Towing a shed with a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6hdi vtr+
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:03 pm

Very strange to be in Manchester yesterday and have no rain at all while 12" fell in parts of Cumbria. V. sad indeed about the policeman, married with 4 kids and just doing his best to do his job. Very sad indeed.

Well done Harry =D>
jetskier
Tribal Elder

Post by jetskier » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:00 pm

hi just returned from haverigg where im working at the moment,completely cut off yesterday as duddon bridge was flooded,infact passing down that valley today all you could see was water,penny bridge was still flooded,had to go about half a mile in 12" of water as the river there had burst,lots of activity with loads of fire engines,mountain rescue crews,inshore lifeboatmen and police,the river had burst its banks and flooded out loads of homes by the whitewater hotel,never seen water like it.

was lookin out for you harry,big pat on the back too you all

got to go back monday,forcast rain rain rain,so i am hopeful.
" if you carnt bongo,then PARTY"
NMOAD
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:27 am

Finally saw the devastation in some parts on the tea time news. Unimaginable for those affected, even in a small way.

Let's hope the flooding subsides before more rain. And well done Harry together with all the rescue/emergency services as well as the volunteers with cups of tea and shelter. Braver and more public spirited than I would probably be under the circumstances :oops:
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:29 am

I travelled up to Carslile yesterday, the run up the M6 went ok but it was obvious that Cumbria couldn't take any more of the rain due as fields were flooded and rivers running at a maximum height before serious flooding.
The run home at night was really bad, high winds trying to push the Bongo across lanes as spray and rain made visibility hit and miss. I was glad to be driving out of it, pitying those having to cope with what was coming.
To infinity and beyond
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:57 am

jetskier wrote:hi just returned from haverigg where im working at the moment,completely cut off yesterday as duddon bridge was flooded,infact passing down that valley today all you could see was water,penny bridge was still flooded,had to go about half a mile in 12" of water as the river there had burst,lots of activity with loads of fire engines,mountain rescue crews,inshore lifeboatmen and police,the river had burst its banks and flooded out loads of homes by the whitewater hotel,never seen water like it.

was lookin out for you harry,big pat on the back too you all

got to go back monday,forcast rain rain rain,so i am hopeful.
The Whitewater Hotel was on the news tonight.........frightening!!

Keep up the good work Harry,I got paid for it,you give up your free time and do it for NOWT,the word HERO comes to mind =D> =D>

Brian
Last edited by Bongoplod on Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Yorkshire Puddings

Post by Yorkshire Puddings » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:32 am

Yes hope everyone is ok, also a big thankyou to all the services that helped& still doing so. Glad Harry ok too.
My thoughts are also with the family of the policeman that lost his life doing the job he loved.
Takecare everyonexx

Return to “North West”