Slovenian Bongo

For all owners and afficionados of Mazda Bongo Friendees and Ford Fredas based outside of UK or Ireland.

Moderators: helen&tony, Ian

spikethorne
Junior Bongonaut

Slovenian Bongo

Post by spikethorne » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:02 pm

I have been living in Slovenia now for the past 2 years. I had a "weekend" home there for the past 5 years. Slovenia is the top bit of old Yogoslavia.

The Bongo is UK registered as I travel back often to visit the Kids. Keeping it MoTed and Taxed is therefore not a problem. I was insured with Lifesure through the club, but their restricted use in the EU was a problem.
I went for the Camping and Caravan Club in the end, got 365 days EU cover, and its cheaper! You dont have to be a member to get it.

I drive there and back at least 5 times a year in all weathers. Its about 700 miles over the Alps, but the Bongo is prefect for this. We sleep over in the back, stay at the wonderful "stop overs" as they are in France. There are the same in Germany and most EU countrys. There are moterhome stops in nearly every town on the continent. Some are just lay-byes, others have water, bins, toilets even electricity, most are free. What a change from the attitude here! They all have short walks to the town, most are in the centre. Great for a meal or just a walk around. i can give you details of the guide books to these if you like.

The Bongo is also great, ours is a 4WD with ABS, as we often go through snow and ice in the winter, no problem. Winter tyres are a legal requirement from November to April in a lot of Europe, and they are great in the cold. In the summer the A/C and the upstairs tent are also a bonus.

So if you are thinking of taking your steed abroad, do! Its great and the Bongo is the best!

If you are down our way or need help on touring abroad, give us a shout. Our old "weekend" is now available to rent as well.

Spike
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Slovenian Bongo

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:40 pm

What a great story + testament to the legendary Bongo =D>
aitch
Supreme Being

Post by aitch » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:00 pm

I visited Slovenia for a holiday a few years ago would love to return with my Bongo roll on retirement to do these trips, found it a very friendly place with lots to see and do. 8) 8)
Be nice to everyone they might be nice back.

Come to the dark side we have chocolate dark chocolate
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:55 am

Good post spike - I've been to Slovenia a few times by motorbike - usually go via the Gross Glockner route.
Slovenian wimmin seemed to like our dirty bikes............. :wink:

Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
stilldesperate
Tribal Elder

Post by stilldesperate » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:58 am

Slovenian wimmin
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Why the hell did you come home, Dandy ...!!??
"The older I get, the faster I was"

Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:11 am

Dandy......you dirty old man you.... :oops: :oops:

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
stilldesperate
Tribal Elder

Post by stilldesperate » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:16 am

.....I'd never wash that bike again..... :oops:
"The older I get, the faster I was"

Return to “International”