Leisure batteries lasting 4-5 days?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

lindalove
Bongonaut

Leisure batteries lasting 4-5 days?

Post by lindalove » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi I have a 85aH leisure battery installed in my Bongo which arrives on Sunday :D , which is split charged so charged up when we drive along.

However we're about to go to Glastonbury for 4-5 days with no hook up and I am worried we'll go flat during that time.

The battery charges a Waeco 40 litre fridge and also some lighting (not sure which lights yet, but its a Wellhouse). We will also want to charge our mobiles up every evening on the 12v power point that's also installed.

Do you think we'll be fine if we just give the engine a run every day for half an hour, or should I either get a trickle charger etc..??

Do not want to find we have flattened our barnd new leisure battery on our first Bongo trip ever! Or do I need a power pack - we go to a lot of festys for several days where there is no hook up.

Also, not sure which is the best way to charge mobile phones (plus eventually a laptop) out of the 12v power point while on leisure battery - is an inverter the best bet, or some other thing if inverters pull too much power? Or can I really not expect to be able to run a laptop for any time off the leisure battery?

Sorry for the q's but couldn't find exactly this query in past posts, unless I've been a noob.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Leisure batteries lasting 4-5 days?

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:49 pm

4-5 days you might just about make it, but could be close,our 85A/H battery will run the fridge for about 5 -6 days without any runs, so if you run the engine every once in a while you might just make it :-) Good luck we will be at the Bash.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:07 pm

which weaco fridge is it, it makes a difference
lindalove
Bongonaut

Post by lindalove » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:19 pm

According to Wellhouse, a "Waeco RPA 40 litre compressor fridge with energy accumulator." Which I think means v efficient.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:36 pm

The data sheet for the fridge is here. It draws 40W and is on for 35% of the time in this weather so that's 3.333Amps average which is 25 Hours running at about 1/3 of the time so that's 3 days running. I still reckon you will get 4+ days and if you run the engine for a while 1/2 to 1 hour, my guess is you will be OK. Lets us know how it goes, when you get back.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
bongolow
Bongolier

Post by bongolow » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:58 pm

Also, not sure which is the best way to charge mobile phones (plus eventually a laptop) out of the 12v power point while on leisure battery - is an inverter the best bet, or some other thing if inverters pull too much power? Or can I really not expect to be able to run a laptop for any time off the leisure battery?
Avoid using inverters if you can, you are converting to a high voltage then back down again which is very inefficient. You should be able to get a car adaptor for your mobile phone (probably cheaper to get a 'universal' one but make sure it's got the correct adaptor for your phone type).

Definitely not a good idea to use a standard inverter with a laptop, the output is too 'noisy'. You need one that gives a smooth 'sine wave' output but these are expensive. Maplin do a universal car adaptor for laptops and this works well.....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=225739
We will also want to charge our mobiles up every evening on the 12v power point that's also installed.
Every evening? What are you doing with them? Mine lasts a week on a full charge, even if never turned off...!
trevd01

Post by trevd01 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:39 pm

About 4 days should be do-able. We managed 4 days on a number of occasions including one time in the South of France when it was about 32 degrees every day when the fridge has to work that much harder. Our Wellhouse Bongo had a very similar Indel fridge, not a Waeco.

The LED lights Wellhouse fit use hardly any power. But Wellhouse wire up the audio system to the leisure battery and that uses a lot more power (more than the fridge probably). But you won't be needing music at Glasto?

Tips? Make sure the fridge is full (makes it much more effeicient)

And turn all the door light switches to off, so you are not running down the starter battery when the doors are open.
apole
Supreme Being

Post by apole » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi there,

I have a very similar setup, but slightly larger battery.

Last year (wasn't overhot weather) we were okay for the 5 days, but I did run the engine for 1 hour half way through that time.

Tips:

I always put food in takeaway tubs as you can pack more in the fridge that way. Most of it if possible I will freeze before I go, reason here is it helps the food last longer, keeps the fridge cooler whilst it slowly defrosts.

Also ensure you fully charge your battery before you go with hook up at home, and have the fridge running a few hours before you leave so it can get cold on hook up.

I have LED lights all round inside so the power use from that is low. I did have G10 halogen lamps before installed as part of the conversion, they can suck 1amp each which is alot when you are trying to save power so if that is the case (easy way to tell is how hot does the lamp get, the hotter the more power it's using) I'd stick with the tube light in the back.

What power management system is installed, is it a ZigCF8? If so be sure to keep in touring when driving, then flick over to on-site when there or everything the converter installed (maybe including the fridge) could be running off your car battery. Maybe call them and ask just in case or you could get stuck.

I'm sure you will be fine, remember if the leisure battery goes flat, just run the engine for a while. Remember that fridge will stop running when the battery gets to 11.5 volts to stop it becoming too discharged, there will be a red led somewhere near the fridge that will start blinking if that is the case

Charging the phones is best via the 12v cigarette lead, inverters are much less efficient.

So in summary, charge your batteries well before you go, run the fridge whilst on hook up at home, fill it properly using better containers, freeze some before going etc and run your engine mid way if you need.

Find out what fuses are installed on the split charge and take a few spares, you can get from Halfords. I found when my leisure battery gets too flat the fuse blows on the relay. Good idea to have spares as otherwise running the engine won't help.

Have fun.

Andy
trevd01

Post by trevd01 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:28 pm

The power management system that was fitted to our Wellhouse conversion was completely automatic with no switches to change anything.
bongolow
Bongolier

Post by bongolow » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:34 pm

I found when my leisure battery gets too flat the fuse blows on the relay
And make sure the relay is rated higher than the fuse. Mine had a 35 amp fuse but the relay was rated at 15 amp - guess which blew first... :shock:

Also - before you use them, check the polarity of any sockets fitted. One of mine was wired the wrong way round and zapped my MP3 charger.
trevd01

Post by trevd01 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:49 pm

bongolow wrote:
I found when my leisure battery gets too flat the fuse blows on the relay
And make sure the relay is rated higher than the fuse. Mine had a 35 amp fuse but the relay was rated at 15 amp - guess which blew first... :shock:

Also - before you use them, check the polarity of any sockets fitted. One of mine was wired the wrong way round and zapped my MP3 charger.
I would be amazed if any of these things were wrong with a Wellhouse conversion. In fact I would be more than amazed.

Wellhouse: Expensive? Yes. But you are buying a proper quality controlled product built in a real factory.
apole
Supreme Being

Post by apole » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:11 pm

Good point Trevor, Wellhouse are a top converter so should be no short cuts made there.

I would still pack some spare fuses mind as I did have one pop last year when the battery was low and in any case it's good to take basic spares just in case.

Also, remember to run the engine when raising and lowering the roof as that takes alot of power and runs from the engine battery.

Trevor, out of interest, do wellhouse fit any battery status monitor that gives you an idea of remaining power? I have a digital voltmeter that I've wired up on and on/off/on switch so that I can check both batteries.

Andy
bongolow
Bongolier

Post by bongolow » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:28 pm

I would be amazed if any of these things were wrong with a Wellhouse conversion. In fact I would be more than amazed
Very true - Wellhouse do have a very good reputation (and mine wasn't done by them).
lindalove
Bongonaut

Post by lindalove » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:58 pm

Thanks all very much!

My mobile is an iPhone so battery only lasts a day! But mobiles essential at festys.
trevd01

Post by trevd01 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:24 pm

apole wrote:Good point Trevor, Wellhouse are a top converter so should be no short cuts made there.

I would still pack some spare fuses mind as I did have one pop last year when the battery was low and in any case it's good to take basic spares just in case.

Also, remember to run the engine when raising and lowering the roof as that takes alot of power and runs from the engine battery.

Trevor, out of interest, do wellhouse fit any battery status monitor that gives you an idea of remaining power? I have a digital voltmeter that I've wired up on and on/off/on switch so that I can check both batteries.

Andy
No fuses on the power management system AFAIK - it has little contact breakers.
Ours didnt have a battery monitor though. Our new Murvi has one, and it is a delight to sit here watching the LB voltage going UP on a sunny day.

We can now go 'off grid' for over a week with 2x 110 AH and a 85w solar panel, an underfloor gas tank, a 97 litre 3 way fridge, diesel space & hot water heating and 140 litres on fresh water on board.

Return to “Techie Stuff”