Homemade bedboards and platform removal

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

hembramacho
Supreme Being

Re: Homemade bedboards and platform removal

Post by hembramacho » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:12 pm

emmakayak wrote:Thanks for the tip.... Pimch was a typo.... I think it's a "pinch" rivot (which explains why its so flipping difficult to remove!!).

Emma
#-o :lol:
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
paulmitchelltv
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by paulmitchelltv » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:27 pm

northerntaff wrote:A few weeks ago, I had a PM from new forum member Mrs Muffinhead. She was asking about how we'd made the Bongo more usable for a family of four, considering the potential difficulties the roof hatch can cause with communication and checking on kids whilst sleeping etc.

I promised to take some photos for her, and now I have I thought I'd put them up as a post so that the info's there for anyone else to use.

Please note this was not my idea originally I've just copied from someone else on here...I'm good at that :roll: :lol:

Having used these in the past by storing them in the roof whilst going away it has limited using the roof space for other things - i.e. sleeping bags, pillows, duvet, and of course it takes a bit of time to set up. So last weekend I decided to take the platform out such that the boards and beds, sleeping bags and pillows can be left up there ready. All I have to do is slide the whole thing back around 6" to allow the front tent supports to go down flat. It was easy to take the platform out, and of course can be put back in easily, so it's not a permanent thing.
Thanks for the thread. This has been really great for helping us figure out sleeping arrangements with our two little ones. I love the idea of the removing the platform and replacing with playwood boards, but have one question.

I don't want to give up the head room in the van during the day. When out camping, do you store the boards, mattresses etc. of just forgoe the head room in the van altogether in favour of a decent sleeping setup for the little ones?

Thanks.
P.
cobbdu1
Bongonaut

Post by cobbdu1 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:31 pm

umbongocat wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:39 pm They're tricky and bed boards are quite heavy. Umbongochris came up with the idea of cutting the original roof and 321 Away went with the idea. It's fab and no need for heavy ply wood :)

Check out the pics of what we've done to our roof, it works perfectly for kids and adults :)

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 7&start=15
Please could I see these pictures Umbongocat? I'm going to try and do it in the next week. The link above didn't work.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:11 pm

The link is here https://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum ... =1&t=58624
you may need to install this add-on for chrome after Photobucket tried to lock up the images for money! https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... apbifiaedg
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Bongoing with Children”