Sunroof cover lining coming unstuck What glue will fix?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Sunroof cover lining coming unstuck What glue will fix?

Post by New Forest Terrier » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:03 pm

Hi All

My Bongo belonged to the All Japan Smoking Champion, a dentist who should have known better :o and had to be ferociously valeted to get rid pf the pong and nicotine. As a result of this (probably someone used a steam cleaner), the sunroof cover lining has come unglued.

Since most of you have AFT's I will describe it. It is a sliding plastic plate with a grey fabric cover. This covers the sunroof for privacy from low flying planes or to prevent you being woken up by the sunrise. It is connected into the sunroof mechanism. The sunroof is a opening powered version and fairly large.

The fabric cover is peeling at the front edge and needs gluing back again. It needs to be done in place which looks fairly easy. Removal looks impossibleas the plate slides into the roof of the Bongo.

Can anyone recommend a product for the job. Its a very light weight fabric. Some type of nylon jersey. Thanks in advance
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Sunroof cover lining coming unstuck What glue will fix?

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:28 am

New Forest Terrier wrote:Hi All

My Bongo belonged to the All Japan Smoking Champion, a dentist who should have known better :o and had to be ferociously valeted to get rid pf the pong and nicotine. As a result of this (probably someone used a steam cleaner), the sunroof cover lining has come unglued.

Since most of you have AFT's I will describe it. It is a sliding plastic plate with a grey fabric cover. This covers the sunroof for privacy from low flying planes or to prevent you being woken up by the sunrise. It is connected into the sunroof mechanism. The sunroof is a opening powered version and fairly large.

The fabric cover is peeling at the front edge and needs gluing back again. It needs to be done in place which looks fairly easy. Removal looks impossibleas the plate slides into the roof of the Bongo.

Can anyone recommend a product for the job. Its a very light weight fabric. Some type of nylon jersey. Thanks in advance
Any chance of posting picies as it's hard to visualise (for me anyway!).

Provided you can slip a suitable (pallet) knife underneath the material, I wonder if some kind of contact glue might do (Evostick, or the spray on equivalent maybe). :roll:
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:31 am

Maybe some double sided carpet tape if you can get in there?
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:44 am

a sliding plastic plate with a grey fabric cover.
That must be the siding window blind in the AFT roof that gives you a nice dark rooftop bedroom on long summer's days. No idea about the type of glue to use. Perhaps Madmile a respected Bongo converter and member of this forum can recommend something.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:14 am

I'd have thought the spray on type glue would do the trick too... Whichever way you try, don't do it in the freezing weather, the cold won't promote good adhesion... :wink:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:26 am

Hi
Copydex is a suitable glue for fabric, but you will have to hold it in place with tape until it sets. I've used it successfully for years. Adhesives over here are VERY hard to find....it's a very backward country....most things are held together with chewing gum and spit.....occasionally flour and water paste....most wallpaper is stuck on with this!!!!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
shaun.m

Post by shaun.m » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:25 pm

the glue you need is called 1358 any coach trimmer will be able to sell you some it is the right glue for the job do not use spray glue it will fall down again. As a smoker has caused the problem you will need to coat both surfaces with glue and leave for a day to seal the contact areas then apply another thin coat to both faces and when almost dry join together you will need to air the van for a while to get rid of fumes oh and dont have the doors closed when you do it it is an halusionagenic in other words make you high as a kite
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:55 pm

Brilliant Shaun

Just the info I needed. I will search out the stuff Monday and follow your instructions to the letter.

Could be very dubious fun if I don't. Some of the things you could see in a Bongo might be interesting but not a good idea.

My Bongo interior should be completely restored thanks to this advice. Another triumph for the forum!

Thanks

Mary
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
shaun.m

Post by shaun.m » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:00 pm

:lol: hi mary thats the reason us coach trimmers are always happy
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:36 pm

shaun.m wrote:the glue you need is called 1358 any coach trimmer will be able to sell you some it is the right glue for the job do not use spray glue it will fall down again. As a smoker has caused the problem you will need to coat both surfaces with glue and leave for a day to seal the contact areas then apply another thin coat to both faces and when almost dry join together you will need to air the van for a while to get rid of fumes oh and dont have the doors closed when you do it it is an halusionagenic in other words make you high as a kite
Thanks shaun, you may have just resolved the issue of the sagging headlining i have in the rear of my estate car... :wink:
shaun.m

Post by shaun.m » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:14 pm

hi BDC that would be the bedoin tent effect then. Same principal applies but is much easier if you can get the liner out and do the repair on the floor or a bench and give it a good day to go off before reassembly
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:04 pm

Cheers shaun! :wink:

Return to “Techie Stuff”