Fitting a Mason Alarm (for Newbies)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

dvisor
Supreme Being

Fitting a Mason Alarm (for Newbies)

Post by dvisor » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:47 am

I know this information is available if you search through earlier postings, but I thought it might be useful to document the steps concisely, for those of us who aren't too keen on taking their Bongo's apart. It took me about 30 minutes.

1. You can purchase a Mason Alarm through http://www.townace.plus.com/ie/ietemga2.htm. Make sure you get the correct one (for a Bongo!). Cost is £27.00 and it arrived within 2 days.
2. Make sure you have the wiring instructions before you start. You'll also need a small and a medium sized Phillips screwdriver.
3. Lower your steering column all the way (there's a lever below the column for adjusting it).
4. Remove the 4 screws that hold the cowling around the clocks in place - and keep them safe.
5. Ease the cowling out. This is a bit awkward, but it will come out. You may need to *gently* bend the top of the cowl down to pop it out (because of some bits that jut out at the back). If you have any switches wired in be careful that you don't strain the wires. I only had a fog light switch connected, but one of the spade connectors popped off while I was removing the cowl. Before taking the cowl off too much, look behind the switches and make a note of what is connected where, just in case.
6. Move the cowl to the right, out of the way.
7. Remove the 4 screws that hold the clocks in place and keep them safe (the screws are actually the same size as the ones holding the cowling).
8. Gently ease out the clocks. Again, this is a bit awkward, but be patient and gentle.
9. You should now be able to see the circuit on the back of the clocks.
10. You will need to have access to the Mason Alarm for your first few trips, because you have to adjust the setting for your vehicle. I placed mine on top of the dashboard for the moment, but later, I will hide it behind the dashboard. Lower the Mason Alarm wires through the gap between the dashboard and the pillar in front of the driver's side door. You should be able to hook it and pull the cable back to the clocks.
10. Screw the Mason Alarm connectors to the circuit, according to the instructions that came with it. There's only 3 connectors to worry about. Be careful that you don't short circuit any wires!
11. Turn on your ignition and make sure you hear a "chirrup" when you do. This means its working!
12. Replace the clocks and the 4 retaining screws.
13. Replace the cowling and the 4 retaining screws.
14. Check that your fog lights still work (i.e. the switch is still connected)
15. You can now adjust the settings on the alarm.

Hope this helps someone and gives the confidence to go ahead and do it.
Two tonne tin drum
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Fitting a Mason Alarm (for Newbies)

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:49 pm

Excellent little post there dvisor =D> =D> =D>
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:18 pm

I will second what Mike said..
But will just add if your garage is doing any work & they're not familiar with the Mason alarm, do point out it's normal for the gauge to sit at about one o clock..

.. and the alarm does work! I had a top hose go Wednesday night & didn't notice the steam till i stopped, i got Bell Hill on it NOW. But i did have to explain the Mason alarm.
I am meant to be at Woodlands this afternoon... [-o<
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:28 pm

Out of interest, is there a factsheet on fitting the Mason Alarm, or should this be it? :roll:
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:42 pm

Shouldn't need one Mike. The alarm comes with comprehensive instructions.
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:07 pm

Veg_Ian wrote:Shouldn't need one Mike. The alarm comes with comprehensive instructions.
Does it? Mine only came with a small slip of paper showing where to connect the wires on the circuit. Nothing about how to get the cowl off, remove the clocks etc. Having done it now, I know how easy it is to fit, but before I started I didn't know what I might be getting myself into. Maybe they usually come with instructions, but not in my case.
Two tonne tin drum
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:10 pm

Oh that bit? - no sorry.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi Dvisor,
Well done good info,does the wiring instructions tell you to disconnect the battery first?
Only a thought. 8)

Cheers Mal..
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:36 pm

teenmal wrote:Hi Dvisor,
Well done good info,does the wiring instructions tell you to disconnect the battery first?
Only a thought. 8)

Cheers Mal..
Thanks.

Didn't think about disconnecting the battery first :oops: Guess I should've done really, to be on the safe side.
Two tonne tin drum
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:19 pm

dvisor wrote:
teenmal wrote:Hi Dvisor,
Only a thought. 8)

Cheers Mal..
Thanks.

Didn't think about disconnecting the battery first :oops: Guess I should've done really, to be on the safe side.
Add it to your excelent notes and PM them to Ian de Bongomeister inviting him to do a factsheet called 'Tips on fitting the Mason (temperature gauge) Alarm'.

Thats what I reckon any way. And well done again. =D>
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:30 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Add it to your excelent notes and PM them to Ian de Bongomeister inviting him to do a factsheet called 'Tips on fitting the Mason (temperature gauge) Alarm'.
No need to PM it. Have added it to my list of things-to-do.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:49 pm

Ian wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:Add it to your excelent notes and PM them to Ian de Bongomeister inviting him to do a factsheet called 'Tips on fitting the Mason (temperature gauge) Alarm'.
No need to PM it. Have added it to my list of things-to-do.
Blimey - this bloke is everywhere, sorting everything. How does he do it. There's only one other bloke I know who is everywhere, but lets not go there :lol: :lol: :lol:
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:59 pm

Rewritten, with the points others have raised (including disconnecting the battery :oops: :oops: )...

1. You can purchase a Mason Alarm through http://www.townace.plus.com/ie/ietemga2.htm Make sure you get the correct one (for a Bongo!). Cost is £27.00 and it arrived within 2 days.
2. Make sure you have the wiring instructions before you start. You'll also need a small and a medium sized Phillips screwdriver, and a spanner to disconnect the battery.
3. It's a good idea to disconnect your battery before continuing. Remember to disconnect the negative terminal first, then the positive (no fireworks if your spanner slips that way).
4. Lower your steering column all the way (there's a lever below the column for adjusting it).
5. Remove the 4 screws that hold the cowling around the clocks in place - and keep them safe.
6. Ease the cowling out. This is a bit awkward, but it will come out. You may need to *gently* bend the top of the cowl down to pop it out (because of some bits that jut out at the back). If you have any switches wired in be careful that you don't strain the wires. I only had a fog light switch connected, but one of the spade connectors popped off while I was removing the cowl. Before taking the cowl off too much, look behind the switches and make a note of what is connected where, just in case.
7. Move the cowl to the right, out of the way.
8. Remove the 4 screws that hold the clocks in place and keep them safe (the screws are actually the same size as the ones holding the cowling).
9. Gently ease out the clocks. Again, this is a bit awkward, but be patient and gentle.
10. You should now be able to see the circuit on the back of the clocks.
11. You will need to have access to the Mason Alarm for your first few trips, because you have to adjust the setting for your vehicle. I placed mine on top of the dashboard for the moment, but later, I will hide it behind the dashboard. Insert the Mason Alarm wires through the gap between the dashboard and the pillar in front of the driver's side door. You should be able to hook it and pull the cable back to the clocks.
12. Screw the Mason Alarm connectors to the circuit, according to the instructions that came with it. There's only 3 connectors to worry about. Be careful that you don't short circuit any copper tracks!
13. If you disconnected your battery, reconnect it now. Positive terminal first, then negative.
14. Turn on your ignition and make sure you hear a "chirrup" when you do. This means its working!
15. Turn off your ignition.
16. Replace the clocks and the 4 retaining screws.
17. Replace the cowling and the 4 retaining screws.
18. Check that your fog lights still work (i.e. the switch is still connected)
19. You can now take you Bongo for a drive and adjust the audible alarm preset. Note that your temperature gauge needle will no longer sit happily at the 11 o'clock position. 1 o'clock is now more likely.
20. When you have taken your Bongo out a few times, and you are happy with the audible alarm setting, you can hide the Mason Alarm behind the dashboard somewhere, if you like.
Two tonne tin drum
Dave Mason

Post by Dave Mason » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:03 pm

dvisor wrote:
Veg_Ian wrote:Shouldn't need one Mike. The alarm comes with comprehensive instructions.
Does it? Mine only came with a small slip of paper showing where to connect the wires on the circuit. Nothing about how to get the cowl off, remove the clocks etc. Having done it now, I know how easy it is to fit, but before I started I didn't know what I might be getting myself into. Maybe they usually come with instructions, but not in my case.
To clarify ... the fitting instructions are online. There has always been a link to them from http://www.townace.plus.com/ie/ietemga2.htm where you place your order. That link now points to dvisor's excellent instructions in this topic.

The "slip of paper" is provided with the alarm because you need that in your hand when you come to connect it. I have not been able to provide full instructions because I have never fitted one in a Bongo. Veg_Ian was probably thinking of the instructions which I provided with the Mason alarm for his Townace which were much more thorough because I do own a Townace.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:10 pm

Blimey, seems both God and The Archangel Gabriel are looking after us.

Sorry guys - only joshing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Techie Stuff”