water water water

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

popthebrick
Apprentice Bongonaut

water water water

Post by popthebrick » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:27 pm

hi all, had my rear heater pipes joined together as i had a leak in the rear heater. were by passed because mechanic thought rear matrix had gone, all ok for 2 weeks. Help! water soaked through drivers carpet now. another trip to garage who said it could be front matrix now!!!! Any ideas?
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:30 pm

Get a new front and rear matrix (matrices?)

I dunno, you've put yourself in the hands of this mechanic. Get him to provide you with some costed options. If you don't like what you hear, take it somewhere else for a second opinion.
popthebrick
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by popthebrick » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:57 pm

think a second opinion is needed before i get job done. anyone had new matrix before and roughly at what sort of cost?
Magwa
Bongolier

Post by Magwa » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:28 pm

I don't wanna P**s on your parade but to blow matrix's requires excess pressure normally associated with a blown head gasket and the drivers inane ability to soldier on regardless of the resultant damage! :oops:

My wife told me of water coming into the front passenger footwell with a 'Funny smell' in her Renault..... two weeks after it started

You guess the rest................. :cry:

Matrix blown, headgasket blown ........ :shock:

So depressing to think of the cause :cry:

I hope Im wrong!

I traded the Renault in as to completly remove the dash on an old car was a non starter.
Live long die oblong
You've Been Bongod
Supreme Being

water water water

Post by You've Been Bongod » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:33 pm

hi popthebrick i had a rear heater matrix fitted cost was about £180 ish i think just for the matrix
you can get a second hand one for about £40 ish or take yours to a tester and get it checked for pressure first

you've been bongod
Hotpot
Supreme Being

Post by Hotpot » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:07 pm

I'm no expert on the bongo's cooling system, but it could be that the heater matrix is simply ready for replacing, they get blocked so easily and they are very delicate. Is there an option to obtain a reconditioned one if it is? However, it could be a sign of something more serious :(

If it was me I'd be asking the garage to do a block/pressure test for some help finding out if it's a head gasket problem, my local garage charged £20 for my mazda. To state what is probably the obvious too, new hoses are always an idea if you've had them for a while.

I hope you get it sorted.

Return to “Techie Stuff”