newbster with question/problem as always !

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

the-bongo-mongo

newbster with question/problem as always !

Post by the-bongo-mongo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:17 pm

got a bongo and its boiling up . heater is cold inside vehicle and water and oil are perfect... so , is it a thermostat or what else can it be ??? its a royal pain ! 60 k miles and pristine other wise (apart from roof not going up , fuse ? ) ps, i am brand new to these and have not a clue lol !
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:22 pm

Check out Faqs section, overheating covered there, Check all hoses for leaks, you may have an airlock :roll: If so it needs sorting, Check radiator for good flow and that the coolant is in good condition. Did you get your Bongo from a dealer, have you a warranty, if so take it back :roll:
Image Pete
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:22 pm

the roof, wont go up without the ignition switched on (engine running for the extra juice) and the handbrake on, then just simply press the button on the cab roof.

if this fails to work then check the number 12 fuse (green 30 amp), 2nd row up 4th fuse on.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:37 pm

Welcome the-bongo-mongo - stick with it and good luck 8)
the-bongo-mongo

Post by the-bongo-mongo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:05 pm

cheers, its getting dropped off at the garage now, is there anything i should tell the mechanics to check in particular ? or a certain way to do anything...
paul9

Post by paul9 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:39 pm

Just make sure they are familiar with these vehicles,especially the bleeding process of the cooling system,good luck. :wink:
the-bongo-mongo

Post by the-bongo-mongo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:07 pm

garage is busy till monday but i have had a poke about... found a big hose has been cut and joined on the drivers side (pics here) . so what is the bleeding process ? it also seems not to be charging and when running, the lights are crap and alt light is on although all belts are fine....feel free to point out any issues you see from my pics !
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:48 pm

You say the alternator light is on, is the sediment light on also? if so alternator is goosed & needs fixing or replacing, not sure if they are fixable as peg leg pete is investigating at the moment. have you measured the voltage with & without the alternator running?
I hope you are planning on replacing that hose asap :? have pm'd you with the seesaw bleed method - couple of other methods dotted about on the forum - one from Bigdaddycain if you mant to do a search - make sure you use AND in between words to refine your search. Good luck with it
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
the-bongo-mongo

Post by the-bongo-mongo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:01 am

it seems ok to start with all lights are dim with constant clicking inside bonnet but that has stopped since we put the batteries on charge and tried it just now and all lights went out so all is well there as engine was running fine . just need to replace the hose and do the coolant bled properly tomorrow...thanks to all the people who gave solutions to this quickly.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:38 am

That hose with the join looks a little swollen too...it may not be able to handle the hot coolant of the pressurised system for much longer :shock:

The silicon hoses thread may be of interest to you... Mine will be fitted tomorrow afternoon.
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014

Return to “Techie Stuff”