HELP! Fitted a towbar mounted step - will the towball work?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

HELP! Fitted a towbar mounted step - will the towball work?

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:36 pm

Managed to get myself a rear step cheap of ebay. Had some Silent Silver so sprayed and lacquered it to match the rear bumper and it looks the bees kneecaps. It has 2 pairs of mounting holes for bolting it to the bracket and I chose the lower ones for ground clearance reasons. My towball now sits in between the rear steps and I'm wondering if the trailer hitch will be unacceptable restricted when turning. The design of the steps (angled inner edge) suggests they have considered this and allowed clearance, however I imagine the two remaining bolt holes are so you can mount the towball higher if you want. If I do that though, it will raise the hitch height and I'm wondering if that wont make the trailer site tail down a bit (got dark before I could try it.

The question I need help on then is this. Is anyone familiar with this situation and do they have advice to offer on whether the ball can stay where it is (which I'd like) or whether I'd be wise to raise it. Here's a pic of the new bumper defender - woops - I mean rear step 8)

http://tinyurl.com/32er9q
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:52 pm

It will definitely screw everything up if you try towing with that in place.

I'll take off your hands for a tenner though. :D
Last edited by scanner on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kawasaki kid
Tribal Elder

Post by kawasaki kid » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:52 pm

If you put your trailer on to the towball you`ll find the body of the trailer will almost be touching your van before the trailer will touch the steps so in normal use you will have nothing to worry about. I`m getting one made to measure to allow for my towbar mounted bike carrier and I tow both a small trailer and a caravan - no not at the same time - I`m good but not that good. :D :D
If I had all the money I ever spent on my Freda ............ I`d spend it on my Freda.
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:56 pm

Mike its not the same as my step but the tow ball should not interfere at all with the trailer ,well it does'nt on mine ,the tow bar and trailer hitch should be roughly level when hooked up together
Lost without my Bongo.
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:03 pm

Kawasaki kid is right - you would have jack knifed your trailer by the time it touches the step.
From a safety point of view I dont think you are advised to use anything to raise the height of a towball. Even the towball lowering plates are 10mm thick and I dont think that step would support the ball on a different set of mounting holes to those provided on the actual towbar.
Looks a nice step though Mike - new or used?
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:03 pm

I've had no problems with mine, admittedly the step is a different make & mounted slightly lower, but i don't reckon you'll have any problem. if you are that worried, hitch it up at the most severe angle you can & see how it sits :D
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:41 pm

Great advice guys & gals and quick or wot!?! I reckon Bongonuts like us are either out in our Bongos, working on our Bongos, or on BF dreaming only of Bongos :lol:

I got the step off ebay for £8.49......plus £10 postage - fair enough and still cheaper than buying new. But I also liked the style of it. It arrived, just a used, zinc coated but solid item. Happily, it had mounting holes for 2 x electric sockets (I only needed one) so I could ditch my flimsy bracket and mount it on the step unit. One I'd sprayed it silent silver + lacquer, it looked really good. Its actually a little bent on one side but not enough to fuss about - anyway DaveBlueOzzie will tell you that its not if but when, with rear steps and bending them. They are there in part anyway to 'discourage' people from parking carelessly around Mangos backside :shock:

I love this Bongo bling stuff - I'm slowly becoming obsessed about it. I think I'm going to get out my gorgeous 17" alloys and start restoring them and working out how I can afford to get them some new tyres. Then I'm going to get me a whole heap of country and western shirts and head west into the sunset with my car and my guitar, and several litres of veg oil 8)
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:45 pm

If anybody else wants one similar ones are available here for £39.99

http://www.ktduk.com/site/product.cfm?i ... 607DE9E6EC
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:49 am

I thought about that one - they are nice - but actually fancied the design of this one esp at that price. Its a solid piece of kit so v. pleased with it 8)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

step

Post by helen&tony » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:25 am

Hi
Mike
Excellent piece of kit!!! Hitch up , try it while someone watches, and rub your hands with glee...it looks O.K. to me.....EXCELLENT for "parking by ear", or to stop others doing the same.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:21 pm

Thansk Helen. Ah well, on to the next little modification 8)
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:36 pm

I have had one of the new dodgy looking 'swan neck ' towbars on our VW for a few years and it doesn't half deter close /nudge parking

Return to “Techie Stuff”