Front fan stopped working

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

missfixit70
Supreme Being

Front fan stopped working

Post by missfixit70 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:59 pm

B****r, worked ok when I switched it on, then realized I was gettin warm, turned it up, nothing happpening. checked fuse, fan spins ok, have downloaded fact sheet & will check resistor tomorrow :roll: They do test you, these bongos :twisted: but I still love it :D
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:50 pm

Oh dear! :roll: ...chances are its the resistor kirsty,have a quick check of the drainage gulley below the windscreen (with bonnet up) if thats blocked,the water that overflows can seize the heater motor,hopefully that hasn't happened :roll: Good luck. :wink:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
Vanmanerik

Resistor

Post by Vanmanerik » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:06 pm

This is not a big problem for someone with your ability. :)

Resistor pack is just behind the fan housing and is easy to remove.

To access the resistors in the case I found that using a pair of small pointy nosed pliers you could squeeze the four tags in the bottom plate and then remove the casing, after repair just replace the casing and open out the four tags with a small bladed screwdriver.

I found the soldering very easy, I placed a piece of thin card between the resistor joints and the case, pushed the reistors (there were two on my case) onto the contacts using the back of a knife and briefly held the soldering iron till the solder melted, removed it and waited about 15 seconds for the solder to cool - job done. No extra solder was required.

Replace resistor pack in housing behind the fan and job is done.

There are some good photos showing location of resistors hereby borabongo here:-
http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... sc&start=0
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:28 am

Drainage gulley clear, no signs of water ingress around the resistor pack - unfortunately being the climate control version (not so smug now :roll: ), no simple resoldering of resistors. no apparent damage/burn out to transistor. will check fan across 12v in the morning, but seems to spin ok.
Found I did not need to unsolder the 3 connector pins sticking up through the pcb, there is enough length in the legs of the transistor to gently lever up the pcb to about 45 degrees, which then allows you to unscrew the transistor from the heatsink :D .
I resistor, 1 capacitor, 1 diode, 1 large transistor, bit of pcb & a heatsink/casing - £66 :shock: .
Am hoping the strip it, put it back together & it magically works principle will come into play, either that or the bongo goblins will fix it while i'm asleep :D
antz

Post by antz » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:15 am

wait so the fan spins, but its still getting hot? in that case its your thermostat. water isnt moving, so your radiator will be stone cold, but since the thermostat is shut closed, there will be no water movement.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:04 am

Interesting website antz :)
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:41 pm

It works ! :D it was having an identity crisis - thought it was a water pump :( , Must have been from before I bought it, the drain had a minor blockage when I first looked at it which I cleared by poking it with my key. Anyway, I had tested it across the battery - nothing, so took the fan out & promptly got wet feet as I tipped it up :( Figured I had nothing to lose by stripping, cleaning, drying & regreasing bearings.
B****r me - it worked first time :D 8) :D 8) Guess it took about 2 hrs or so, & that was taking my time & cleaning out the matrix & all the ducting as best I could before I put it all back together. Well chuffed I didn't have to spend a thing to do it either 8). It almost seems like Mazda build these with a view to people actually being able to fix bits rather than sealed units & inaccessibilty - gawd bless em :D
antz

Post by antz » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:00 pm

oh sweet. yeah i got a bit lost there. sweet good to hear its back up and running!
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:24 pm

You haven't drained the matrix of coolant have you missy?? If you have it's imerative you bleed the cooling system to eliminate air locks
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:00 pm

Noooo! just a paintbrush an a hoover to clear all the debris, flush will be in a month or 2 (unless circumstances force it before) when I change & refill coolant just to make sure antifreeze right for winter, seesaw method print out on standby thanks to peglegpete.
Checked intercooler matrix & scoop too, all hunkydory although scoop could do with a slight fiddle to increase the size of its intake where the plastic has warped in a bit, wouldn't even of thought of it unless i'd read Ginge's bit on the intercooler thread. Ain't this forum wonderful 8) It isn't said enough on here, so I'll say it now for the help & tips I've picked up, & for all the future help that I'll probably forget to say
THANKS GUYS :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:27 am

Nothing beats that feeling of doing it yourself. :oops:
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
Run your fingers over my Bongo, and I'll run my Bongo over your fingers!! :twisted:
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:13 am

Y'know the old saying...."you can beat an egg but you can't beat a ____ :lol:
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar

Return to “Techie Stuff”