Overheating/Gurgling etc

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Overheating/Gurgling etc

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:00 am

If age / condition of things like thermostat or radiator are uncertain, i'd be inclined to treat the Bongo to new ones anyway, and then re-evaluate. :roll:
stevlor
Bongonaut

Post by stevlor » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:02 am

Northern Bongolow wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:56 am thats the right pipe, it should get hot as in you can hold it for about 5 secs before you have to let go. if its not hot then it aint bled,

did you go round squeezing hoses to help shift stubborn air pockets.
did you get hot heaters. both front and back, this will indicate if you have water circulating through them.

dont drive it till your sure.
:( No squeezing of hoses I'm afraid, we couldn't continue much longer as the coolant was boiling and spitting at my mate holding the funnel! Is that normal?
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:36 pm

Do you front heater warm or cold? If it cold - welcom into "club of crashd engines head"///// :(
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:43 am

stevlor wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:02 am
Northern Bongolow wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:56 am thats the right pipe, it should get hot as in you can hold it for about 5 secs before you have to let go. if its not hot then it aint bled,

did you go round squeezing hoses to help shift stubborn air pockets.
did you get hot heaters. both front and back, this will indicate if you have water circulating through them.

dont drive it till your sure.
:( No squeezing of hoses I'm afraid, we couldn't continue much longer as the coolant was boiling and spitting at my mate holding the funnel! Is that normal?
if you watch all the vids again you may notice that most of the squeezing of pipes and adding of coolant is done at the start of the bleed before the engine is started, you really need to get as much water in and air out before the engine is started, start the engine and let it just tick over squeeze again, check the front heater pipes and the rear heater pipes see if they BOTH INLETS AND OUTLETS are getting warm, if they dont they could have an airlock, squeeze them. pay particular attention to the top hose that leaves the cylinder head on the driverside as this drops from the head towards the front axle, air does not want to go down hill so make sure this has water in not air or the coolant will not flow round the system it will boil the coolant in the head then vent out of the funnel as your mate found out.
another good indicator is also how much water or coolant you put in should be equal to the amount of air coming out, the system holds about 14 ltrs, i start the bleed process with a bucket of coolant with 14 ltrs in it, keep adding keep adding, if you think you have finished and you only put 8 ltrs in something aint right.

Return to “Techie Stuff”