Any views on buying a narrowboat

Talk about non-Bongo stuff. BUT KEEP IT CLEAN....there are children watching. Smut, filth, and anything offensive will not be tolerated and removed immediately.

Moderator: Bob

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Any views on buying a narrowboat

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:03 pm

Bob wrote:And nice to have your personal stuff to hand, be it Bongo, boat or cottage, and I'm less paranoid about scratching something or getting it dirty if its mine. :?
Absolutely. Its just the liability of a boat i get nervous about, what with all the stories you hear. I've learned to balance risk against return with a Bongo but a narrowboat is a much bigger proposition - a bit like owning 10 Bongos!

The Bermudians used to say that the two best days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. :shock:
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:41 pm

What about flogging the house and getting a NB that would take the Bongo!
Maybe even rig up some sort of control device from the Bongo to the bit that steers the boat.........

I may be having problems with my medication :oops:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:44 pm

Bongolia wrote:What about flogging the house and getting a NB that would take the Bongo!
Maybe even rig up some sort of control device from the Bongo to the bit that steers the boat.........

You laugh but i did give that some thought. Low bridges and snobby narrowboaters though are but two potential obstacles :lol:
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:46 pm

I thought you may have done :lol: :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:15 pm

Bongolia wrote:I thought you may have done :lol: :lol:
You know me too well ;-)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:12 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Bongolia wrote:What about flogging the house and getting a NB that would take the Bongo!

You laugh but i did give that some thought. Low bridges and snobby narrowboaters though are but two potential obstacles :lol:
You want a butty with a Hiab.

Solve bridge problems, load Bongy and go.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:08 am

I can see a plan coming together here. :D
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:16 pm

Bob wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:

You want a butty with a Hiab.

Solve bridge problems, load Bongy and go.
Ill sit down and eat with anyone Bob,had a kebab with a politician once.
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:21 am

And there was i thinking a new post might offer more practical thoughts. Doh! #-o :lol:
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:15 am

Mike -

Many years ago I used to be a member of South Devon Watersports and was given a warning - "everything that floats is a money pit"

Peter
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:39 am

I think it was Bernie Ecclestone said, 'If it flies, floats or ***** rent it'. :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:22 pm

BigPanzer wrote:Mike -

Many years ago I used to be a member of South Devon Watersports and was given a warning - "everything that floats is a money pit"

Peter
Noted Peter and thanks.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:29 pm

Bob wrote:I think it was Bernie Ecclestone said, 'If it flies, floats or ***** rent it'. :lol:
Or has a lifting roof? Superb Bob :lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D> =D>

Once i've stopped laughing i'll make a note of that. 8)
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:15 am

Hi Mike,

This thread is getting interesting, so I had a look at a couple of brokers and I was surprised at the prices of narrow boats so I'm wondering if this is beginning to become a new trend. However there seem to be an increasing number of very reasonably priced sports cruisers around. I got sidetracked looking at NBs and found a Dell Quay Ranger with a diesel engine and outdrive, seemingly in excellent condition and with all the toys for a similar price to a 50' Nb probably needing work. 4 berth, heads, think it had a small galley and built on the Fairey Huntress hull, which I know rides like a dream and has easy cross channel capability. (not that this is something I would be too keen on at the moment).

Boats, like cars are a very personal choice. Most of the (few) boats I have knowledge of have been smaller and faster than a NB and my personal preference would be for something that is capable of getting the adrenaline going if asked.

Whether you go ahead or not, do please bear in mind both my comment and Bobs and keep your eyes open and remember that there a lot of people trying to persuade you to "live your dream" in order to get their hands on some of your pension pot.

There is a guy locally who was persuaded to buy a motorhome. A huge 6 wheeled thing, it took him 3 attempts to get it into his drive. His idea was to tour Europe with it, but we pass his house daily walking the dogs. In the last 18 months it was gone for around a week, then came back with minor damage and it didn't move again. He eventually sold it, probably at a substancial loss. Same thing could easily happen with a boat if the dream goes sour.

Peter
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:26 am

A really excellent post Peter and thanks++ for it. What you say (sadly) resonates with my concerns. It reminds me of what i too often see with people desperate to buy the dream when buying a Bongo - by rushing, they end up buying a nightmare. Similarly, these things are indeed aiming to grab your pension pot. I think though that, like Bongos, there are well cared but aged ones out there, but there's no getting away from annual running costs, and increasing numbers seeking to live on canals (and i think that trend could steepen, and uk leisure interest increase also) puts increasing pressure on moorings and could push prices higher. So, lots to think about and a boat of any sort could come to dominate your leisure time and spare budget. Fine if you're up for that, but not something to rush into. I do love NBs though and, for some illogical reason, more than better value for money river/seagoing craft. Meanwhile i have my NB on wheels which continues to be a great joy, ten years on from purchase :-)

Return to “Off Message”