Oil filter on too tight

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

cmm303
Supreme Being

Re: Oil filter on too tight

Post by cmm303 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:34 pm

Fairly sure I did it all from above, certainly did not remove the under engine cowling. Used a chain removal tool.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:45 am

Hi
Very rarely remove the cowling underneath...most jobs done from above. I don't do too much on the Bongo now, as my back prevents a lot...I just put it in the garage,and we do the cooling system ourselves!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:10 pm

Ive always done up filters hand tight, plus a little bit more, with a bare hand and used a rubber glove to untighten.

However, I had a wake up call a couple of years ago when soon after starting a journey the oil light came on. I topped up from the on board can and before very long it came on again. It was leaking out around the filter thread and filling the undertray. This made me realise that Diesel engines can shake about a lot at low revs.It is not a bad idea to check the tightness every time you dip the oil level.

Regarding tools, I settled on the strap type as they are unlikekely to put holes in the filter. Imagine sticking a screwdriver into the filter and then finding that the one you bought to replace it doesn't fit!

frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:16 pm

Diplomat wrote: Regarding tools, I settled on the strap type as they are unlikekely to put holes in the filter. Imagine sticking a screwdriver into the filter and then finding that the one you bought to replace it doesn't fit!
frank
Tend to agree Frank. That (and the mess) is what disinclines me to the screwdriver method :?
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:52 pm

I managed to loosen it off with the chain type just now so it is ready for the oil change. The chain type is the one you want.

Unfortunately for the Bongo oil filter the wrench/tong type has little chance of getting the Bongo oil filter off unless you can very easily get under the vehicle. So do not buy one, get the chain type. There is no space for it to fit from the hatch. There are pipes galore around that area.

I am happy I have loosened it off now. The rest should be very simple. Thanks for the input all. I am sure the tong /wrench type will be useful for some other job at some stage.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:43 pm

All done and dusted for a year. (I only do 3.5k of mainly motorway miles) 6.5L of Magnatec in there and did oil filter and air filter as well. 8)

I took a few photo's of the oil change with all the bits you need and thought of putting a basic "how to" on here but I won't bother if others think is pointless. (i.e. You either know how to do it or you get mechanic to do it or there is a Fact Sheet etc.)

I will do a quicky version.

Long story short:

(oil filter part no.) Bosch P2042 0 986 452 042-72N
19mm socket for sump drain plug
2 empty cans
2 funnels (though you can do it with 1) 1 clean and one for old oil into cans.
Big washing bowl enough for 6.5L minimum
Bin bags under bowl
Latex gloves (many pairs of thin) and ideally a thick rubber coated cloth pair.
Box of tissues to clean old filter, oil cans etc.

Warm engine...I did mine to 70C. Position bowl, undo sump nut and do not drop it, I find thin latex gloves are best for this drain oil. PUT SUMP NUT IN SAFE PLACE Wait 10-15 mins and then I rock the Bongo side to side a bit to get the last dregs out. Then put the sump nut back in. Do not over tighten do so with a socket on a wrench and do it reasonably tight but not destroy the thread tight.

Place "Bag for life" supermarket bag at minimum or a black bin liner under where the filter is. Remove oil filter with thick rubber coated gloves watch out it can be HOT !

Spin it fairly quick once loosened off so not too much oil comes out the spin inertia keeps most of it in so you end up with only a 1/2 cup-ish old oil on your bag that is positioned under it.

Lubricate the new oil filter rubber seal with fresh oil and the thread (I do anyway) then spin it on. It should go on easy and smooth with no force required when correctly aligned with thread. Once hand tight tighten with rubber gloves on as hard as you can hand tight without going crazy with it.

Funnel into your filler cap. Poor in your 6.5L of oil for a 2.5 Diesel with filter change. Put your filler cap back on and then run engine for a while and check under your filter and sump plug for any leakage.

Then the messy bit is transferring the old oil into old cans using the funnel and take it down the refuse disposal.

Quite an easy job.
Last edited by BongoBongo123 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:02 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote:All done and dusted for a year. 6.5L of Magnatec in there and did oil filter and air filter as well. 8)

I took a few photo's of the oil change with all the bits you need and thought of putting a basic "how to" on here but I won't bother if others think is pointless. (i.e. You either know how to do it or you get mechanic to do it or there is a Fact Sheet etc.)

I will do a quicky version.
Maybe tweak the existing fact sheet with the improvements you've got?
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:10 pm

I am not expert enough ! I just really enjoy the few jobs I can sort out I am no expert just willing when I know there is a 95pct + chance of me not making things worse. :lol:

Also things like oil you know what quality of oils filters was used etc. was put in and I know next time I can get the filter off myself. :wink:

The biggest time consumption is thinking through the avoidance of mess and the clean up after. Not a single bit of oil went anywhere it should not have. Just have to go slow and calm.

PS it is handy to double check that the filter you have looks the same size as the one coming off just as a quick check before hand. Some part suppliers have been known to send the wrong thing out which can put a spanner in the works of course.

A good time to then order your parts for next years service !

Return to “Techie Stuff”