17" Tyres Size

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: 17" Tyres Size

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:18 pm

You can use winters in the summer, but according to the manufacturers, they wont stop you as well. However, this advice from Continental regarding (their) winter tyres explains things clearly:

http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/www/ ... tyres.html

When should I fit winter tyres to my car?

It is recommended that you switch to winter tyres in the UK between October and April.

If you are reluctant to change tyres and have nowhere to store summer tyres when they are not in use, you are better off using winter tyres all year round.

Winter tyres are as quiet and comfortable as summer tyres and, thanks to sophisticated compound technology, do not wear any more quickly.

There is a slight trade off with stopping distances as a winter tyre does not stop as quickly in the dry as a summer tyre, however, on balance if it is not possible to switch tyres in the winter, experts say you are better off with winter tyres all year round. This is because the  difference  in  stopping distances of summer tyres in winter is far greater than for winter tyres in the summer.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:39 pm

Fair enough but with less grip that would explain the near loss of control in the dry. It's the same as having worn rubber on the rear and good on the front, it will be more likely to swap ends.

My boss has the BMW option ticked, that they swap his tyres over in the winter and he notices a lack of grip, noisier and higher fuel consumption when it gets warmer again. They happen to be Continental's too.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:07 pm

It's the mixing of tyre types that is the cause of the handling problems that jsalcar reported. If it's 4WD then mixing types (and potentially rolling circumferences) will complicate things further.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:33 pm

roosmith wrote:Fair enough but with less grip that would explain the near loss of control in the dry. It's the same as having worn rubber on the rear and good on the front, it will be more likely to swap ends.

My boss has the BMW option ticked, that they swap his tyres over in the winter and he notices a lack of grip, noisier and higher fuel consumption when it gets warmer again. They happen to be Continental's too.
Then perhaps he should buy better winter tyres.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:58 am

scanner wrote:
roosmith wrote:I'm no expert on tyres but snow tyres are designed to be used in snow (and other cold conditions). Doing 70mph on a dry warm motorway probably wouldn't be advisable! Also they will wear out very quickly.
The first bit is right, the rest is comple
tely wrong.

No they don't wear out faster and I have used them all year round for 5 years now and in all conditions I have driven in they have been as good or better than ANY "summer" tyres I have ever used.

I have also used "summer" tyres all year round and would NEVER do so again. :wink:
I took scanners advice and am very happy with my Avon Ice Touring winter tyres. Sounds like overloading maybe low tyre pressures and forgetting a Bongo cannot be driven like an ordinary car.....may have contributed yo the scary moment.
jsalcar
Bongonaut

Post by jsalcar » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:28 pm

Thank you all for your comments and advice.

Something else, came up on this.

I went to a garage today, different from the previous one. I asked for front tyres 195/70R15 92 S when I got home I saw they put on 195 / 70 R15 C 104/102 R Load Range D - These are commercial vehicle tyres, they insist in that it is perfectly legal and I shouldn´t worry about anything. Is this correct? Or should I go and make them change the tyres again? I am confused

Thank you again for your help!
Viva el Bongo!
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:36 pm

All Bongo tyres are essentially van/commercial vehicle tyres because of the increased load rating. The problem comes when people install car tyres, as they are not designed for such heavy loads.

The ones you've been given are rated well above the minimum required, which shouldn't cause a problem at all.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
jsalcar
Bongonaut

Post by jsalcar » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:40 pm

roosmith wrote:All Bongo tyres are essentially van/commercial vehicle tyres because of the increased load rating. The problem comes when people install car tyres, as they are not designed for such heavy loads.

The ones you've been given are rated well above the minimum required, which shouldn't cause a problem at all.
I Roosmith. That is great, as soon as it is so and the insurance are not funny about it :) :lol:
Viva el Bongo!
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:01 pm

92 may have been too low rating so good job the garage went for the uprated option :). The ratings do vary from model to model. Some do specify 92, but on the later models, they increased the minimum to 96.

jsalcar
Bongonaut

Post by jsalcar » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:30 pm

Thank you all for your help. =D>
Viva el Bongo!
jsalcar
Bongonaut

Post by jsalcar » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:29 pm

roosmith wrote:All Bongo tyres are essentially van/commercial vehicle tyres because of the increased load rating. The problem comes when people install car tyres, as they are not designed for such heavy loads.

Thank you for this. I have another question and wonder if someone could help please.

Searching for info about tyre pressure I found that the recommendations are 30 psi for front tyres and 34 for rear tyres - The tyres with this pressure are down and they seem not fully inflated - Is this right? What pressure would you recommend for 195/70/15 C up front and for 215/70/15 rear - Should I put more pressure for longer journeys when the van is loaded?

Thank you.

J
Viva el Bongo!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:01 pm

I keep my pressures up at 38psi front and 38-40 psi rear depending on load. I've not noticed abnormal wear, ride may be a bit harsher on potholed roads (but the Bongo is poor on these anyway) and i've had some excellent mpg figures.
jsalcar
Bongonaut

Post by jsalcar » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:24 am

Thank you. That sounds more like it =D>
Viva el Bongo!

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”