european breakdown cover.

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Re: european breakdown cover.

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:09 pm

dvisor wrote:
dvisor wrote:
dandywarhol wrote:Ermmm................over a thousand possible employment routes to use as eligibility - I've never been a civil servant, never mind slept with one - they really aren't that bothered about eligibility IMO - just happy to get yer money 8)
Maybe I'll give them a call then. According to their website, the list of qualifying organisations can be found here https://www.csmaclub.co.uk/eligibility/A - but nothing that matches any I have been employed by/member of :( I thought I might find UNISON on there (I used to be in NALGO a lifetime ago), but no joy.
Thanks for prompting me to go back and check again. I gave them a call, and I'm not directly eligible myself, but my brother-in-law (who works for Royal Mail) is, and can introduce me as a member. It seems my wife is also eligible, because she worked a couple of months for the DHSS 30 years ago!
Thought it would work - I've to thank Scanner for telling me about CSMA and how to...............like I said - never even slept with a civil servant - mind you - I knew a few uncivil ones................... 8)
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:18 pm

Thanks Dandy - my wife got her membership sorted out this evening (luckily I *have* slept with a civil servant!). Britannia Rescue (deluxe cover incl Europe and personal membership for both of us) is £103 plus £16 CSMA membership - a saving of 91 quid 8) I'll simply cancel the other membership with Britannia that I took out when it arrives in the post and get a refund.
Two tonne tin drum
taylor&summers

Post by taylor&summers » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:26 pm

I have my insurance with Campton Insurance Brokers and I also get Breakdown cover through them for £60. This includes europe as well, looking at the policy it is with Call Assist ltd. It covers vans up to 20 years old, it is for "motor caravans" though so dont know if this makes a difference. Just seen that it also covers Homestart as well. bargain :D :D

Cheers
Craig
taylor&summers

Post by taylor&summers » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:32 pm

borntobag wrote:Just been on a few comparison websites and found cover from £60 ish on all of them.
On the money supermarket website I found a company called "first call" who would cover the Bongo and a trailer/caravan upto 25ft, 5 people and recover to uk (value of car dependant) for £77.
All that for 1 years cover and with a maximum of 6 callouts allowed in that year! seems to good to be true, which usaually means it is.

Trouble with insurance of any kind, the only way of finding out if is any good is to be unfortunate enough to have to make a claim.
Hi,
I use "first call" for my car, we have used them about 5 times over the last 3 years. Been very good, you ring them and someone is out in about half an hour. Can't fault them at all.
Cheers
Craig
Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

Post by Bin Bongoed » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:01 pm

You could try 2gether, you would get a year's European cover for that sort of money. When I needed help in France, I got the RAC control centre, and help arrived in 30mins. They use whoever is nearest for your location at the time of the call.
A friend had problems with them, but that was down to the company that handled the call (the biggest in the business). So you might as well get the cheapest cover, if it's going to be handled by the big boys anyway. Mine was £60 a year, it'd probably be £70 now.
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:38 pm

A timely reminder, thank you.

UK and European Breakdown cover was included on my insurance last year, but although I am with the same broker my insurer has changed and it never occurred to me to check that I have the same benefits. Fortunately, I do :)

For the record I am with Royal & Sun Alliance through Footman James.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:27 pm

It 's included in my motorbike insurance through Carole Nash for the bike, I used the RAC Last time for the Bongo and have arranged it with Brittany Ferries for my next trip. In all three cases I believe it is Europ Assistance that provide the roadside response over there. Only had to call them once, in Luxembourg with the bike, and their service was excellent.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:38 pm

dvisor wrote:Just been on the phone to Britannia, and they confirmed that there is no age restriction on recovery :D

£210 for UK and Europe assistance (including home, roadside, recovery etc.), for any car my wife or I drive. Cover in Europe is up to 180 days. Trailer or caravan is included. Mazda Bongo was on their database, so no problems there.

Quoteline Direct looks good, but decided on Britannia for peace of mind.
Just make sure they know it's a Bongo "Friendee" not just a plain "Bongo" as they are 2 completely different vehicles. :wink:
saracen

Post by saracen » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:51 am

Just had cause to use Europ Assistance (cover through Lifesure, around £130 for the year including Europe cover up to 90 days over the year) - they were truly excellent.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:04 am

scanner wrote:
dvisor wrote:Just been on the phone to Britannia, and they confirmed that there is no age restriction on recovery :D

£210 for UK and Europe assistance (including home, roadside, recovery etc.), for any car my wife or I drive. Cover in Europe is up to 180 days. Trailer or caravan is included. Mazda Bongo was on their database, so no problems there.

Quoteline Direct looks good, but decided on Britannia for peace of mind.
Just make sure they know it's a Bongo "Friendee" not just a plain "Bongo" as they are 2 completely different vehicles. :wink:
They're ok with imports scanner -I got my Hiace home last year when the alternator failed. must say they're a pretty friendly and personable lot when and if you get stuck.
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
dext924

Post by dext924 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:48 pm

I have just booked mine through vehicle-rescue.com £32 for a 18 day trip. I know quote line do £59 for the year, but I am covered in this country, and this seemed like a good deal. Covers the caravan as well, and all the usual extras that you need.

Hope I dont have to ring, but at least I have peace of mind.. [-o<
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:53 pm

That's not a bad rate for one trip cover.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
jnboy

Post by jnboy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Iwould recomend cooperative. £65 for single trip and they have been superb.
dext924

Post by dext924 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:02 pm

Just got back from the annual European road trip, and I would love to tell you that vehicle-rescue.com were great and did a great job of getting me home............

But we never needed them :D :D :D
1200 miles in the last 2 weeks, 850 of them dragging the new van, and not a hiccup. She was a little thirstier than normal pulling another 1300kgs, but reliable as ever
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:17 pm

We've just got back and had cover with QuoteLineDirect.

Had to use them as like a prat I had the switch in the wrong position on the Zig unit and the starter battery went flat.

Very pleased with the service, took quite a while for them to turn up which meant we missed our ferry booking from Le Havre yesterday but they booked us (and paid for) a ferry from Calais to Dover.
It meant driving another 150 miles but they agreed to us paying the the difference in the ferry cost and the tunnel. Turned up at the tunnel and an hour later we were in the UK.
Ended up doing us a favour actually as the ferries were delayed and very rough crossings yesterday and got home earlier than usual.

Return to “Going Abroad”