Rust Questions...

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

LittlePorker

Rust Questions...

Post by LittlePorker » Fri May 25, 2007 9:05 pm

Could anyone let me know whether Bongo's are particularly prone to rust spots in the gutter/channel? Ours has a few spots and whilst it's not a problem as such (I'm short enough not to worry about what I can't see!) we just wondered whether this was a common problem.

Also, if you have these spots of rust have you had them treated or have you gone down the DIY route? We have some touch-up paint and Mr P could spend some time atoning for the canoeing by getting on with it, but he's trying to wriggle out of it by saying that it might be better done professionally...
Scott & Gillian
Bongolier

Post by Scott & Gillian » Fri May 25, 2007 10:42 pm

We've got a few rust spots on our gutter end.
Gonna treat it with some erm, rust treatment stuff, then pain over it and hope for the best!
Also noticed a few tiny pin pricks of rust here and there, which show up nicely against the white paint! I've T- cut and polished these, and I'll be holding my breath and hoping they dont get worse!!
I'm a collector of random things. Anything. But not glitter, which is nasty.
www.random-things.co.uk
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Sun May 27, 2007 7:58 am

Yes, rust IS a problem in the rain channel. Was silly enough to buy a New Shape from AVA which had rust here (right hand channel adjacent to windscreen) with the promise that this would be “attended to” before hand-over. Three years later it is still producing liquid rust stains on the inside of the A pillar and I am convinced that the rust has spread to the inside to the A-Pillar – ughhh.

AVA are still trying to fix and fingers crossed for their latest attempt so take care!

Paul
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
neil/di
Bongolier

Post by neil/di » Sun May 27, 2007 9:23 am

I have found rust on the lips of the rear archwhere the outer skin is spot wealded to the inner wing, the 2 surfaces have started to swell,not quite sure how to address this, any thoughts welcome
Neil :cry:
A Bongos is not just for christmas
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Sun May 27, 2007 6:13 pm

A couple of other places to check too, one is .. open both front doors and just look at the small bolted on panel that holds the mud flap, there is a small gap and this invariably gets blocked with leaves, etc if left it rusts, the second is at the front, look through the grill just above the bumper and you will see the cross member, this will probably have some rust on already, if you use a radiator brush it is fairly easy to paint it with hammerite and cure the problem. I have no doubt others points will follow, happy motoring.

Return to “Techie Stuff”