2nd earth on fuel sender unit

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

maglett

2nd earth on fuel sender unit

Post by maglett » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:01 pm

Can someone give me some foolproof instructions as to how to put down a second earth for the sender unit?

I have cleaned the connection, but want to put down a second earth as I am about to stick down a new floor and don't want to have to pull it up again.

Thankyou!
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:23 pm

There is another thread on here about it, but just drill a hole close by, piece of wire attached to a crimped connector, sand the area around the hole to metal, use a self tapper and fix to existing earth terminal on tank. Spray with grease to waterproof it and job done. Must be easy cause I did it. You could always make a flap in the flooring just in case it happens again. Happy motoring.
maglett

Post by maglett » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:31 pm

fix to existing earth terminal on tank
this is the bit I'm not sure about.

Am I right in saying that I need to get a connection with the tank to earth it? This is your self tapper which needs good contact with the metal of the tank?

Not sure how to fix the wire to the existing earth terminal.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:35 pm

Just drill a small hole through the little bracket that the earth to the tank is connected to - this is where the self-tapper goes. Run the wire to any earthing point on the chassis or bodywork.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
maglett

Post by maglett » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:58 pm

so am I earthing the tank to the chassis?

drill a small hole through the little bracket that the earth to the tank is connected to

that's the bit of metal that holds the black plastic connector?

I don't need to worry about the incoming cable at all then?
Josh N Sarah
Bongolier

Post by Josh N Sarah » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:24 pm

Just a quick question whilst we're on the subject. Think we need to clean our fuel connectors as guage will only go up to half. Question is, we have a rear conversion, will this be in the way of the area we need to access :?:
maglett

Post by maglett » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:10 pm

we have a rear conversion, will this be in the way of the area we need to access

No, shouldn't be - the panel is in the first half of the van, about 60cm or so behind the drivers seat.

Just drill a small hole through the little bracket that the earth to the tank is connected to - this is where the self-tapper goes. Run the wire to any earthing point on the chassis or bodywork.

Followed these instructions as best as I could interpret and managed to get the fuel gauge to go from almost empty to completely empty!

Have decided that I'll continue to drive without knowing how much is in the tank, and just re-fuel after 450km or so, zeroing the clock every time!
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:40 pm

Yep just earth the tank to the chassis, it is easy, as I said it must be because I did it, have a go, if it doesn't work at least you tried which is what d i y with motors is all about and only by experimenting and learning can we solve our bongo problems. Happy motoring.

Return to “Techie Stuff”