Fuel tank capacity

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

micknick
Apprentice Bongonaut

Fuel tank capacity

Post by micknick » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:09 pm

I have a 2002 2L petrol only had it for qa few weeks an ran the fuel right down with the needle onto the E on the fuel gauge before refuelling (the fuel light w did not come on)
Th van took 45 Litres of fuel to fill right up, my understanding was that the tank had a 65 Litre capacity but have today read that some are 60 Litres, can anyone shed any light on this for me please as 20 or even 15 litres of reserve seems quite a lot or is it a common thing for the gauges to be inaccurate.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Fuel tank capacity

Post by g8dhe » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:33 pm

All the tanks are 65l capacity, however the pump inlet is a few cm's above the bottom so around 60l of useable capacity.
Yes the gauges are not that accurate, the low fuel light (provided its not blown ;-) ) does eventually come on, it never has on my V6 but there again when its on Empty on mine it takes around 55l to brim it so there may well be some way to go but why risk it unless you carry a few spare litres in the back!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
micknick
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Fuel tank capacity

Post by micknick » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:59 pm

Thanks for the info im not one for running until the fuel light comes on tbh but thought it was a bit strange that if it was nearly empty and I could only just about get 45Litres into it

Return to “Bongo Chat”