Copper sump washer not in place for forthcoming year....

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Copper sump washer not in place for forthcoming year....

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:31 pm

When I poured old oil into funnel into old conatainers I saw something come out and get stuck in the neck... :shock:

The copper sealing ring for the sump nut Nooooooooooooo !

And I already put the sump nut and new oil in, I did not recall there was one I suppose at they often come off together
not thins time... must of fell off the nut facia into the oil pan.

Oh well I had better keep an eye on it for this year. I have made notes to keep a check on it.

Put the washer in avery safe and easy to remember place.

Anyone done that and had it leak or drip or work loose ?

Other than that filter and oil change was smooth. Hopefully it will manage a year without
a problems and many checks to be sure.
kton2002
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Copper sump washer not in place for forthcoming year....

Post by kton2002 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:39 pm

I have done on an old car, and it did drip. I doubt it will come loose which is obviously the main concern, but personally (and I know not what you want to hear), I’d put a washer on it. As long as you use a very clean container with no dirt / debris to catch the oil, you can simply refill using the oil you drain out.
gilly99
Bongonaut

Post by gilly99 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:04 pm

Do people still do this? Pela pump; £30 well spent.
4wd diesel, 1999 ex tintop with lowline raising roof
Keep a cool head, black ball game.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:06 am

It can happen when the bolt is removed and does not remain on the thread of the bolt (which 9/10 times it does or is even like it is welded to the bolt head) and as it is not something I think of very much if it has "welded" itself to the sumps bolt hole facia it then warms and falls off into the oil.

So yes it can and does happen. With most work on vehicles not every job, even simpe ones goes perfectly to plan.

I have done the Bongo oil 10 times myself and this is the first time, but with the right set of circumstances.

No one is perfect but thanks for the suggestion nonetheless. They are closer to £40.00 by the way.

I am leaving it and keeping an eye on it. And if it drips will consider removing then, if I do not need to do it I won't.

I have made note in diary periodically and in the van to routinely check. I keep a close eye for each time I go out to the Bongo and will check after a few heat/cold cycles.

I was lucky the funnel into old oil can was narrow enough to catch it.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:51 am

BongoBongo123 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:06 am It can happen when the bolt is removed and does not remain on the thread of the bolt (which 9/10 times it does or is even like it is welded to the bolt head) and as it is not something I think of very much if it has "welded" itself to the sumps bolt hole facia it then warms and falls off into the oil.

So yes it can and does happen. With most work on vehicles not every job, even simpe ones goes perfectly to plan.

I have done the Bongo oil 10 times myself and this is the first time, but with the right set of circumstances.

No one is perfect but thanks for the suggestion nonetheless. They are closer to £40.00 by the way.

I am leaving it and keeping an eye on it. And if it drips will consider removing then, if I do not need to do it I won't.

I have made note in diary periodically and in the van to routinely check. I keep a close eye for each time I go out to the Bongo and will check after a few heat/cold cycles.

I was lucky the funnel into old oil can was narrow enough to catch it.

Its good practice to renew the sump plug washer at every change .
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:50 pm

Probably good practice but I bet 99pct of people don't. Seems excessive to me.

No drips so far after checking after each drive I will keep an eye on it but I appear to be ok thus far.

I'll get it back on next year... it's having a well earned year off. :lol:

Return to “Techie Stuff”