2.5 V6 Petrol auto won't start when it's wet or cold

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

palmskin
Apprentice Bongonaut

2.5 V6 Petrol auto won't start when it's wet or cold

Post by palmskin » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:38 pm

We've had our 2000 reg Frendee 2.5 l petrol/LPG V6 automatic for a few years, but since last summer it has deveolped an unpredictble fault which means it won't start in the rain, or if it's damp or cold. It tries to but just won't 'catch' as it were. A couple of times the battery's just run out of juice while trying. Occasionally it kicks into life after ages trying. Other times it's all fine as if nothing's wrong. We've changed the distributor unti and the spark plugs. We've had various mechanics look at it, but no-one's the wiser - it's one of those that when it starts everything is fine (runs really well, in fact) but when it won't it won't.
Anyone got any ideas/ tips? I'm not remotely tech-savvy, so please pitch any replies at a very basic level for me!
Thanks.
Simon
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: 2.5 V6 Petrol auto won't start when it's wet or cold

Post by g8dhe » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:15 pm

Most likely area is the distributor cap itself, then the leads to each spark plug and the king lead to the actual HT generator, these are the parts that are likely to get moist and allow the spark to jump to earth rather than reach the spark plugs themselves.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
palmskin
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by palmskin » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:30 am

Thanks - I was assuming getting the distributor unit changed included the cap, but I guess not. I suppose I’d better get someone to go through all those points you mentioned - problem is it’s all fine unless the weather changes, so how does anytime know what the culprit is or how to stop it happening all over again? Is there some sort of weatherproofing, I wonder?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:34 am

You could use a bottle with a water spray to spray each area and see if anything fails ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
palmskin
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by palmskin » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:59 am

That's a great idea! Thanks.

Return to “Techie Stuff”