Intense Vibrations?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

iogus
Apprentice Bongonaut

Intense Vibrations?

Post by iogus » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:03 pm

Hi All,

My first post here so apologies if i miss anything out. I've been on the forum for years but just reading an observing.

I have a 1995, 2.5 Diesel Friendee 2WD. I've owned her for almost 3 years now, usually daily as a gardener but also weekends to carry the kayaks and fishing gear! She's been spot on apart from the usual rust issues here and there which i've had sorted along the way. Apart from fitting new coolant lines because one or two had corroded i've barely had to do anything else to keep her up and running.

However, more recently she started to develop a bit of a slight vibration/shudder when pulling away, and then at particular speeds there would be some vibration.

Until the other day when I pulled out of the local shop car park and thought that my rear axle had fallen off as the vibration got instantly worse. The Van runs smooth when parked, theres a bit of a clunk going from D/R and vice versa, when accelerating above 5/10 mph the vibrations make the van underivable, it feels like its coming from the rear, i'm just not sure where to start or quite what to look for? Any direction would be amazing, my first thought is something to do with the prop shaft or rear diff.

Thanks in advance.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Intense Vibrations?

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:55 pm

First perhaps check all the tyres for bulges or damage especially on the inside where its not immediately visible ?
Also check the drive shaft itself and supports someone had a problem recently with the support having failed and the rear drive shaft had nearly ripped its way thru the coupling by all accounts!
Maybe also check the brake disks for any warps, but normally you would feel this worse when braking rather than all the time?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
iogus
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by iogus » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:09 am

Will Double check the tyres' I did give them a once over however will double check the insides that aren't as visible.

Will double check the drive shaft as what you've explained there feels to match up with the aggressive nature of what I experienced :) is there anything in particular to look out for?

I had a slight wobble when breaking which turned out to be a seized brake but i had that all done last year and braking etc has felt fine since.

Will report back :)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:47 am

Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
iogus
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by iogus » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:40 pm

oh wow ok, yeah I think i spotted that post when looking for similar symtoms.

I've just checked the inside of the tyres, definitely no obvious damage or buldges.

I've tried to snap a few pics from each end of the prop just to make sure i'm looking at the right area. Will pop these below to see if theres anything you might potentially notice immediately, but if i'm looking in the right areas i'll get under when theres more light so I can have a proper look.

iogus
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by iogus » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:38 am

Just an update on this one, I noticed I'd put 2wd drive in the original post but its obviously a 4wd, apologies. :doh:

I've checked a few things today, I've tried to move the prop shafts by had side to side when in neutral and there doesn't appear to be any play. Although in the pics you can see they look pretty rough.

I drove up and down my road a few times, the judder comes in almost when the revs pic up and it goes into second, i tried reversing and there's no judder at all. The judder also stops when I knock the van into N when moving along.

I've checked the Transmission fluid also and its all full and a nice clear pinkish colour.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:53 am

Have you tried removing and replacing each wheel in turn and checking wheel and bearing, I'm just wondering if there is a loose wheel bolt/nut or a problem. I assume all the wheels are standard no spigot rings or such like for non-standard wheels?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
iogus
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by iogus » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:40 pm

Ok good shout I'll do that today and report back.
davetheshrew
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by davetheshrew » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:56 pm

hi mate, yeah sounds like its the prop to me. get both rears on stands , disconnect front prop (and inspect and replace universal joints if needed) then run it in 1st and look at the prop, if its visibly moving up and down youve got a snapped or cracked joint. Ive noticed the props on these are pretty weak and without regular greasing and maintenance they will snap.

Also there is a sliding joint on each prop. Check those for play, a tiny bit is ok. Pack them with grease before putting the props back on.
iogus
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by iogus » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:47 am

Update:

Ended up purchasing some ramps to get the van up onto. Had a good look underneath, it was indeed the rear prop.

One of the universal joints had completely sheered away from the prop, new prop with uj's ordered from bongo spares, hopefully will arrive before the weekend and will get it all fitted and report back. :)

A video here of the issue for anyone interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zndPdZO3nwI

Thanks for the help!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:00 am

Good to hear you have found it. Seen several reports in the last month of prop shaft / drive shaft problems which up to now has have been pretty rare!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
iogus
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by iogus » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:02 am

Yeah fingers crossed this gets her back running nice and smooth again, appreciate your help.
iogus
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by iogus » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:38 pm

New prop in today, runs like an absolute dream, smoothest she's ever been! Thanks again all.

Early symptoms were, judder when pulling away that gradually got worse, and a metal click when going from D to R or visa versa :)

Return to “Techie Stuff”