Burning rubber

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

trikeboiler
Bongonaut

Burning rubber

Post by trikeboiler » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:32 pm

Hi I have a 2 litre bongo and just recently I have noticed a burnt rubber smell after a run, I have checked all the belts and hoses and they appear to be ok, it's only be noticeable since I have had the heater on hot also the temperature sensor is faulty and that's being done next week, I thought at one time it was the foot well carpets, taking it to Halifax next week to be repaired just wondered if anybody else has had this problem. Does not appear to affect performance. Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Burning rubber

Post by g8dhe » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:08 pm

Try putting the aircon on re-circulate, if its something outside of the aircon then it should fade away over a while, but come back when you pull air in from outside again. We had a problem with oil leaking and running down onto the rear exhaust manifold (V6) which only appeared when stationery and a slight breeze would waft it back into the aircon air intake at the very front.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
coryjoon
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by coryjoon » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:09 pm

It's good that you've checked the belts and hoses. The burnt rubber smell could be related to various issues, and it's positive that it doesn't seem to impact performance. Since you've identified a faulty temperature sensor, addressing that could potentially resolve the issue. It's also a good idea to have the vehicle inspected by a mechanic in Halifax to ensure there are no other issues contributing to the smell. Other possibilities could include issues with the heater unit, exhaust system, or even components in the engine bay. A professional inspection will help pinpoint the source of the smell.
trikeboiler
Bongonaut

Post by trikeboiler » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:19 pm

Thank you for replying, taking up to bongo spares next week to let their mechanic sort it as it's still under warranty, I shall let you know the outcome.Thanks
trikeboiler
Bongonaut

Post by trikeboiler » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:46 pm

As promised, results about temp gauge and the burning rubber smell, the temperature gauge fault was down to the thermostat being stuck open and the burning rubber smell was the rear brake caliper had seized and was binding the brakes, I thought I was losing power and fuel consumption was up, thanks to the lads at bongo spares, within 2hours all sorted with new caliper and new pads. Thanks all.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:28 am

Sound job, thanks for update. =D>

Return to “Techie Stuff”