Should I ATTEMPT to start my Bongo?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

smileysal
Apprentice Bongonaut

Should I ATTEMPT to start my Bongo?

Post by smileysal » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:46 am

Hi all,

I'm really hoping someone will be able to help me - I've searched through the FAQs and forum posts and not seen any previous answers to this question...

My Bongo (2.5 Petrol + LPG, 2010 registration) has been SORN and on the driveway since I was shielded (early 2020). At the start of the pandemic I was starting it weekly, but over time stopped doing that. I'm embarrassed to admit that it's probably been 2 years now since I've been anywhere near it :(

I'd hoped I'd start using it again, but due to a change in circumstances that's simply not reality, so I'm going to sell it in the next few weeks in the hope someone can make use of it this summer. I'm trying to work out whether it's best to try and start the battery/engine first, or just sell it as it is.

Working on the assumption that it's better to know whether I can start it, I have a battery charger pack (like the AA use), which I could attempt to use on it, but everything I've read online seems contradictory. Some people say to just try and start a vehicle that's been left unused for such a long time. Others suggest removing spark plugs and all sorts before attempting it because it might damage it otherwise.

I really don't know where to start with the best way forward. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Sarah
Sarah T
1997 2.5L v6 4WD AFT Petrol/LPG Combo
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Should I ATTEMPT to start my Bongo?

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:05 pm

Well given its been left so long it won't do any harm to try starting it first, however the starter battery is almost certainly flat so it will most likely need charging anyway. Also starting is the biggest load on the battery so once started you need to take it for a decent run at least 20-30 minutes @ 60mph to put back the charge from starting into the battery. Otherwise it won't start a second time! If it hasn't been serviced in all this time either then it will be well overdue for a thorough check over.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:18 pm

Hi Sarah

Completely agree with Geoff.

If you try and sell Bongy as a non-starter, with no MoT you’re looking at scrap value, which may be zero if someone has to collect it.

The petrol may well have 'gone off', so I would drain the tank and add some fresh, and the battery may well have deteriorated so it won’t hold a charge.

If you give us a rough location someone may offer to help, or at least recommend a local garage. 8)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:24 pm

Afterthought: if the battery is completely flat you’re booster pack won’t work.

This isn’t a fault, just if they don’t sense about 2v they don’t apply power to prevent reverse connection.

Best if you can put a charger on the Bongo battery first, but see my comment about the battery possibly having failed.
smileysal
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by smileysal » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:27 am

Thank you both for your help.

I'm in Plymouth. I used to use Allans, pre-pandemic.

I'm going to find a local mobile mechanic who can come out and change the battery for me, and replace the petrol. I'll then take things from there, but with the aim to get it back on the road before I sell it.

Thanks again for your replies to my original post, I really appreciate the time you took to help.
Sarah T
1997 2.5L v6 4WD AFT Petrol/LPG Combo
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:46 am

Couple of recommendations here:

https://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/vie ... th#p724535

Fitting a battery is pretty simple, and Tayna have proved to be a good supplier:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/? ... nfEALw_wcB

Fingers crossed.

Return to “Techie Stuff”