Problems going into Drive

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

LianeG
Apprentice Bongonaut

Problems going into Drive

Post by LianeG » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:52 pm

Blod sometimes struggles to go into drive and othertimes will lurch forward. I have been told to have her drained down and cleaned out, my mechanic needs to know if bongos need a special filler to fill back up or can this be done through the dipstick tube?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Problems going into Drive

Post by g8dhe » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:19 pm

Welcome aboard!
I guess we are talking about the auto gearbox? Yes its filled thru the dip stick pipe - slowly!
Assume of course you have checked the level and checked the ATF quality ?
Engine needs to be warm and running whilst you dip the ATF level, can be fiddly as it splashes around inside so will need to dip it several times to get a level. The oil should be a reddish and semi transparent, if its brown and smells of burnt toast then time to drain it as much as possible, and then to refill, its difficult to drain completely as a lot of oil is held in the torque convertor, the full amount is 9.5 litres (varies a bit by year and versions 8.6 to 9.8l) so if its really bad you may want to do it twice, but best to measure the amount you drain out and refill by the same amount before testing the level again.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
LianeG
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by LianeG » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:49 pm

Thanks very much for the reply, Blodwen is currently with a mechanic as I cant do this myself :? Hopefully he will be able to sort it out for me.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:16 pm

The auto box is pretty standard, so a decent mechanic should be fine with it.

Return to “Bongo Chat”