Using LPG conversion for domestic heating and gas

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

chris.ballshaw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Using LPG conversion for domestic heating and gas

Post by chris.ballshaw » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:36 pm

Hi,

I've just bought a bongo that has an LPG conversion. Does anybody know how I can use the LPG in the tank for domestic purposes? It would save me having to have an additional campingaz bottle.

Splicing into the gas line would be no problem but I dont know how i could open the solenoid valve from within the habitation space while the engine is off. Seems doable but just not sure how I'd go about it. Another thing is if this is even allowed from a vehicle safety perspective?

Many thanks,
Chris
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Using LPG conversion for domestic heating and gas

Post by g8dhe » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:55 pm

Not as simple as that!
The tank feeds liquid propane to a heater matrix which evaporates the liquid for injection to the engine, this is why it always starts on petrol, until the heater matrix has created sufficient gas from the liquid.
For in vehicle domestic heating or cooking you need additional hardware to convert the liquid to gas before it can be regulated to the right pressure for feeding to the appliances. There is equipment for doing this as I found it with Google searches in the past, but not having much success today, they may have changed the standards since I last looked!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”