First non start for a long while...

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Re: First non start for a long while...

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:50 pm

I'll just pop these bits here for reference as well, so they are all in one place for people. I forgot the seat will have to come out. Ok to do air filter with it in but not this job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H53kKDB ... tmustbeian

And this old post about the same thing.

viewtopic.php?t=17236
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:29 pm

I was just taking a look/planning a WD40 squirt in readiness It is not the easiest to see right now as air intake is on.

I can see 3 bolts in position of the video and they look pretty heavy duty might be 10-12mm heads, (video does say 12mm) are the bolts holding on the
starter motor going through the gearbox to engine meeting plate (or does it just look like that ?) They seem very big. They have had a squrt of WD along with the air intake clips/screws, it should help.

It probably is those cause that is a very substantial piece of mating plate on the the starter motor
like 12-14 mm thick.

(I did get to the airport and back no problem, it started on third turn and today to get into favoured parking space
for looking inside Bongo bay on the second. So it seems to work but rather intermittent. So in theory should
get me out of trouble for airport pick up.)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:10 pm

I have the parts, just 2 copper L shape bits and a plunger..... and a new high quality rachet which is very small, hope it can exert enough force on the bolts to undo them (WD40'd again today for good measure). Ratchet is 1/4 inch, as were my 12mm sockets, but it looks like you need quite a small one to fit in the available space. So I am hoping I got the right one. I will get chair out one day, and attempt removal of starter another... try and reduce stress on the back a bit.

It might be a little while to find a few days to have a go. I am not really looking forwards to the job in all honesty.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:33 pm

I bought 1/2 inch Draper and 3/8inch Draper with some sockets £11 and £19 respectively. I think the 1/4 inch looks too small. I won't know until I get in there. I will report on what works best for other people who may have future starter troubles. Well at least I am not all sorted for ratchets into the future for small jobs.

All my the ratchets in the 100 piece I bought cheap some years ago broke in about 2 uses, springs and bits all over the place !

Having the right tool is 1/2 the job, it certainly helps reduce stress and frustrations.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:40 pm

Chair is out easier than imagined, first time I have taken it out. I was concerned about the slider bar but need not have been. I suspected there was a 6th bolt in a hard to acces place but it just comes out with the entire chair structure. I used paracord to hold the engine bay cover up as it will not stay up on its own, even after removing the small "bum chair" thing. 14mm bolts for chair and 12mm for the bum rest.

I will do a bit each day, I will try and get it out tomorrow with luck. Had its 3rd and final spray of WD40 on the air intake clips and starter bolts.
I just add the 1/4 ratchet was expensive but high quality 1/4 inch BAHCO. Other 2 are Draper.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:46 pm

Air intake off, banged the bolts with a bar in lieu of hammer not fitting to try and crack the bolt seals and a final WD40 for good measure.
Confidence grows slightly with each stage and you can start to see what you are doing now ! Top tip a powerful Headtorch is very handy indeed on for charge for an attempt on the bolts tomorrow. Hopefully it will be in my hands tomorrow ready for kitchen table job.

So far so good.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:50 pm

Reminder to self to disconnect battery before moving wires ! Put a note in the foot compartment
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:36 am

Starter motor is out. Quite smooth job upper bolt is most tricky as you have limited swing for the ratchet. Start with a 1/2 inch ratchet if you have it, I thought using the most robust first would be best to crack the seal. Once the seal on the bolts was cracked I used the small 3/8 to wind them out, then do it by finger.

I suggest leaving the middle bolt in and once loose support starter motor with right hand so it does not hit the deck
and wind the last bolt out by finger. Find a route out within pulling any other pipes and wires off.

Starter motor = 14mm bolts x 3
12mm spanner for the thick high amperage cable.
10mm to remove the bolt holding auto transmission fluid dip stick (allows better swing with your ratchet for the upper bolt)

Stage 1 complete !

The WD40 ing is definitely helpful if you have the time to spare a few days before. It helps with the
top bolt which is the hard one to do.

You may need a stubby cross head screwdriver for the intake clip closest to the engine. It was pointing towards
the top plate meaning I could not get a long screwdriver anywhere near it. I used a 1/4 inch crosshead socket that got in there nice and easy.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:14 pm

Thanks. :)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:15 pm

No worries Bob the more info there is the better for all. Now I have hit a slight problem, one contact is replaced, the one I suspect was worst worn, that 3mm contact was about 0.8mm left !

The other sides nut (it's a nut with a tag for a thick wire coming from the body) is quite corroded and the first locking/ thick wire nut is corroded on (you know.. 2 types of metal, air dmap and 27 years!!!) so I am spraying with WD40 which is a necessary evil. Clearly NOT ideal for an electrical contact but it did not budge... instead the internal start to show signs of taking the force.

I will await this and give it a hammer tap. I am clearing the edge of the bolt with a point of a safety pin to try and get the corrosion out of the nut edge and let WD40 get in. There is always something to make things a little complicated but I will go easy and try and work it free.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:44 pm

The outer nut is stuck and instead the inner nut moves so I am currently shafted as I do not have a slim enough spannerto hold the estimated to be 14mm nut behind. So I need to get a very slim set of spanners to hald that rear nut to crack the corroded top nut.

Classis DIY problem ! :lol: Off to Amazon I go.

It would have been smooth sailing without this issue.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:04 pm

I did it the WD40 kicked in... :D Make sure you have some of that available way before you start this job.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:53 pm

All re-assembled, take a photo, it is slightly fiddly, one side has some kind of wafer insulator and the other plastic piece and both sides have rubber
grommets, double chek what is inside and outside the enclosure, you cannot go wrong with taking a photo and doing each side one at a time.

Put it back on tomorrow and hopefully it has done the job, fingers crossed.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:08 pm

A few pics:

3 pics

bad nuts

wear

fresh copper

https://ibb.co/m5535Sj
https://ibb.co/3Fzw1TB
https://ibb.co/GVpKyJ5
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:25 am

Starter works 3 times in a row first turn ! Just put the intake and chair back in thanks for the help ! :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”