Problems with hills!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Catvt
Apprentice Bongonaut

Problems with hills!

Post by Catvt » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:12 am

Please help,

I have a 2.0 petrol automatic Bongo. She has a problem with long slow hills. It seems she can rarely go over 40mph over a long slow hill and gradually loses power. if I try to accelerate there is a loud buzzing noise which presumably comes from the transmission. I am on my 3rd gearbox (a long story) but all of them have had the same problem (along with other issues). I am now wondering whether this is related to something other than the transmission.
Has anyone else had this issue and can anyone offer any advice or explanation? Help much appreciated!
Thanks
wwaveydave
Bongonaut

Re: Problems with hills!

Post by wwaveydave » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:11 am

I also have a 2.0 petrol bongo. I also notice the long slow hill syndrome. My Bongo has always been like this since I've had it and I've always just put it down to heavy wagon + small engine + gravity = slow wagon. My Bongo will pretty much stay at 40 on a long steep hill. I don't get the loud buzzing noise though. On really steep long hills it will drop to 30 but the pitch and noise from the engine and the gears always sounded about right to me in the scenarios above.
MHayes
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Problems with hills!

Post by MHayes » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:03 pm

I have also noticed something similar in my 2.0 litre Bongo when hill climbing at high revs. It has always sounded like something attached to the engine or drivetrain that is not screwed down properly and vibrating. Normally a slight change in accelerator position cures it. Couldn't find anything loose and neither could my mechanic.

Anyhow, despite the general din the old girl always makes it. Took it up Porlock Hill the other day and she romped up no problem - the rear wheel drive really helps. But then she is a tin-top with the lightest useable DIY conversion I could figure out.

On a related topic I replaced the air filter with a K&N a few weeks back and there is a marked improvement in throttle response. She does actually feel quite pokey now on occasion! I have used these filters in other cars before (it's actually the eco/longevity factor that attracts me the most) and always I have had to put up with quite a bit of induction roar which was annoying enough on occasion for me to take it out - doesn't seem to sound any different with the Bongo (which is good) and I wasn't expecting much but it has definitely livened her up a bit - and no the previous filter wasn't dirty/old. Got the K&N from Auto Jap Spares.

Return to “Techie Stuff”