Diagnosing gearbox issue

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

thruflo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Diagnosing gearbox issue

Post by thruflo » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:17 pm

Hi all,

We have a 2000 Bongo V6 automatic, converted in the UK in 2020. I believe it's having gearbox or transmission problems. We're in Europe now and the local mechanics aren't very familiar with Bongos. So I wondered if I could ask for advice on identifying the problem and potential fixes.

Basically symptoms are:

- a persistent electric motor whining noise when driving with the accelerator pressed, especially uphill, stops when you relax the foot off the accelerator, comes back on when you press down again; does go away sometimes, especially after driving for a while
- a feeling like the van isn't as powerful as it used to be -- used to eat up hills, now needs to be kicked down a gear to feel any power
- occasionally also hold coming on and sticking in a low gear when driving down the motorway [not sure if this is related or just a sticky button on the gearstick]

Does this sound like a common problem? Any advice or pointers?

I've seen the FAQ on auto gearbox problems https://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum ... hp?t=74445 -- I'm guessing should start with those steps, e.g.: check transmission fluid, drain fuel, check crank shaft sensors, check gearbox plug wiring, but as a car/van maintenance newbie I'd love any pointers or perhaps specific things I can ask a local mechanic to take a look at for us.

Thanks,

James
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Diagnosing gearbox issue

Post by g8dhe » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:55 pm

Yes use the checklist in the Factsheets area and make sure you check the ATF the correct way (In gear, running & warmed up) you will need to dip the level several times as its normally splashing around inside. Should be a nice translucent red colour, if its smelling and very dark then as a minimum you need to drop as much ATF as possible (a significant amount will be trapped in the TC).
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”