Member in Distress in France

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

lmol
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Member in Distress in France

Post by lmol » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:14 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:wastegate failed under pressure.
disconnect the diaphragm operator/lever and see how loose the arm is where it goes into the turbo, ideally test the diaphragm by revving the engine past 2000 -2500 revs to see if it moves the diaphragm /arm then back when the revs drop, or it may work the other way round #-o , you may have to operate the arm on the turbo manually after its been lubricated to get the turbo to boost up to give pressure on the pipes to operate the diaphragm arm. this is to see which bit is sticking/failing. if its the variable vane turbo which i think it is the arm into the turbo may feel free until the temps get really hot like when its been running a while, this is because when hot the vanes stick with carbon build up inside, this is the main reason for blocking the egr valve off, the egr puts dirty exhaust air back into the inlet manifold to be reburnt to clean it up to lower the emissions, in this country its not needed as the emissions are low enough to pass the mot here without it . the only down side is you may see higher engine temps as the burn is better from cleaner air.

egr valves. yours should have 2 on it, they are piped via the lump of extra scrap that is the egr gasses cooler,member on here called briwy ripped the lot off and threw it in the bin. the egr valves have position switches on the top so even if the valves are partly working the switch may not register it so it flags up a fault, another well respected long time bongo owner on here spent nearly a year finding this fault. #-o #-o #-o . but we got there eventually, we stripped the switches out and cleaned em, still not right, replaced em, all good.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... o=.html#14

fuel shut off.
ignore it, if its not working it wouldnt either stop the engine, or allow it to start.

briwy is on this link from the vw forum have a read, they have the same problems we have, maybe an italian tune up may be needed, thats hard to do in limp mode though :lol:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/li ... ease.6401/
Hi, the wastegate continues to stick when hot, at low speed, or idling. All seems ok at higher speeds with revs above 2500rpm. Hopefully the journey back home will be a 3000rpm, 125kmph so (touch wood) all will be ok :idea: and when back home I can take note of the further recommendations around the EGR etc.

A final question before I sign off, if the bongo goes into limp mode (no turbo/wastegate working) is it ok to drive without long term damage... I'd prefer not to call out roadside recovery... eeek!

A big thank you!
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:05 am

if it keeps going i would keep going. :shock: .
just dont endanger yourself or others by going along at a dangerously slow speed, watch for the hills that could catch you out.

good luck.
lmol
Junior Bongonaut

Post by lmol » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:16 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:if it keeps going i would keep going. :shock: .
just dont endanger yourself or others by going along at a dangerously slow speed, watch for the hills that could catch you out.

good luck.
Many thanks... that's given extra confidence in getting home =D> the bongo seems to maintain speed ok, but will definitely keep an eye out for hills.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:33 pm

if its revving ok press the hold button whilst driving, give it plenty of revs and see if it will clear the carbon out, this is the italian tune up.
wont do much for your mpg but it may temp clear the problem.
then get back home and put some proper fuel in it preferably one of the higher grade diesel fuels see how it does on that, it would be a real bummer if it was just cheap tourist fuel that is causing all this grieff.
lmol
Junior Bongonaut

Post by lmol » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:36 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:if its revving ok press the hold button whilst driving, give it plenty of revs and see if it will clear the carbon out, this is the italian tune up.
wont do much for your mpg but it may temp clear the problem.
then get back home and put some proper fuel in it preferably one of the higher grade diesel fuels see how it does on that, it would be a real bummer if it was just cheap tourist fuel that is causing all this grieff.
I like your thinking! Italian tune-up it is. I'm hoping the 8 hours drive will blow anything away :lol: I have a few more days in France so will keep you posted on my journey goes... if all fails, we have two push bikes on the back. :shock:

Now my passenger side window isn't working from either switch... a ghost playing tricks I'm sure!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:46 pm

Likely the loom from A pillar to driver's door.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:11 pm

lmol wrote:Now my passenger side window isn't working from either switch... a ghost playing tricks I'm sure!
You've not set the switch on the drivers side window control to disable the passenger window operation have you? Easily done and its caught many out. :roll:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:41 pm

Including me. :oops:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:33 am

Bob wrote:Including me. :oops:
I've lost count of the things you've been caught doing Ben that you shouldn't have been doing. :shock: :lol:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:35 am

mikeonb4c wrote:
I've lost count of the things you've been caught doing Ben that you shouldn't have been doing. :shock: :lol:

It was the cider put voices in my head, M' Lud. :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
lmol
Junior Bongonaut

Post by lmol » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:15 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
lmol wrote:Now my passenger side window isn't working from either switch... a ghost playing tricks I'm sure!
You've not set the switch on the drivers side window control to disable the passenger window operation have you? Easily done and its caught many out. :roll:
Agreed. Easy done. And... it was done. Only realised at the ferry terminal! Lol.
lmol
Junior Bongonaut

Post by lmol » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:16 pm

And me now...
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:45 pm

lmol wrote:
And me now...
You've reached the ferry terminal ok then? Yayyyyy =D>
Gandalf The White
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Gandalf The White » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:45 am

Hi there.

I had a longstanding problems with our 2002 Diesel Bongo with the dreaded going into limp mode and glow plug light flashing once engine was warm and sat in traffic. I cleared all the old fault codes and found the two fault codes being displayed were P0400 and P1228. Spent hours researching this trawling for answers through the forums, FB groups and it's also well detailed on the Wastegate Actuator factsheet in the members section. It's obvious people have spent hours on this, but nothing seems to give a permanent guaranteed long term fix. After much head scratching I discovered Mark at The Bongo Master in Leicestershire, really good, decent, honest bloke, who knows Bongos inside and out, he has great reviews from all his customers. Mark immediately knew what the problem was. It's a known issue with later Bongos, due to combination of a change of turbo design and poorer quality grade diesel in the UK. Mark charges £600 to retrofit an older turbo from an earlier model and changes the relevant ducting and piping to go with it. The van then ran as sweet as a nut, with no loss in performance at all. Just thought I'd share, as it could save somebody alot of time, money and hassle in the future.

https://www.thebongomaster.co.uk/

Return to “Techie Stuff”