Bongo not starting when cold/damp, fine when warm/dry?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

devon_bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Bongo not starting when cold/damp, fine when warm/dry?

Post by devon_bongo » Mon May 01, 2023 6:51 pm

Hi all,

I've lurked on here a lot and found some good info so thanks for that!

Yesterday I had to have my 2001 2.0ltr petrol bought back from Cornwall on the back of a flatbed after it completely failed to start.

Saturday we drove it down from Devon to Land's End, all fine. Full tank of (E10) petrol. After one night on a misty and cool Cornish clifftop it just would not start. Was turning over fine but wouldn't fire. Hooked it up to a running car to check the battery - nope. Popped the passnger seat and gave the sparkplugs a little squirt of WD40 - nope.

Called out the AA - technician checked all the plugs and they were good. Sprayed a tonne of easy start in and it still wouldn't go. Hooked it up to his battery - nope. We nearly got it going at one point but it just wasn't firing. So on the flatbed and bought home.

Today it's been sunny and dry in Devon and I figured I'd give it a go just in case - started first time and drove perfectly.

So, any ideas what it could be?

It does sometime struggle to start when it's cold or if it's been sat for a while but normally I can get it to fire with a little bit of gas and perseverance but yesterday morning it was just having none of it.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo not starting when cold/damp, fine when warm/dry?

Post by g8dhe » Mon May 01, 2023 7:35 pm

Wet distributor cap and leads, give them a good clean to remove dirt, wash with WD40 and inspect the distributor cap for cracks and any damage to the leads and plugs.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Bongo Chat”