Lambda Change disaster.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Dingo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Lambda Change disaster.

Post by Dingo » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:21 pm

Hi My freind with 2003 2 litre, has tried to change his Lox sensor and shorted the heater wires to the control circuit.
He manged to get it to a garage who have since changed the Lambda sensor and then my mate had the ECU repaired professionally. Engine still not right and so the garage now wants to trace all the wiring for the control circuit. Is there a scematic that shows all the wiring for engine management including the ECU? I've looked on Lush projects but can't find owt.
Can anyone advise please ( or Geoff 😉)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Lambda Change disaster.

Post by g8dhe » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:12 pm

The diagrams I have put together don't go up to that date last I have is Jan 1999 and don't appear to show any Lambda sensor on the diagrams that I can see :-( I have heard that the ECU can be easily damaged if the heater wires contact the sensor wires and stuff 12v into the 5v max. input circuitry, I suspect it blows the protection diodes! The best bet might be to measure the output voltage from the sensor and if that seems as expected for the type of sensor then it could be that there was more damaged than expected in the ECU.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Dingo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Lambda Change disaster.

Post by Dingo » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:29 pm

Thanks Geoff, this is Russ from Midlands Bongo Owners. Not my Bongo though..
He's had the ECU repaired although I have no idea how that would be checked. I'm going to take my Bongo to the garage so they can swap out the ECU to see if mine works, mines 2002 but I'll check the part numbers to check the same.
Cheers Geoff see you soon. Ta

Return to “Techie Stuff”