Second leisure battery?

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

L8starter
Apprentice Bongonaut

Second leisure battery?

Post by L8starter » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:36 pm

Hi, newly here with stripped out seats, solar panel, pop top, diesel heater by importer/converter but then a self conversion fixed single bed and apple crate kitchen.

Just wondering…. Has anyone installed a second leisure battery?

I’m planning to spend a few months in my van when sun may not be too much in appearance and it could be wet and windy. Shetland, March to June.

I have a 100w solar panel and split charger but want to run a compressor fridge as well as diesel heater and would like reassurance that I’m not asking too much of my leisure battery.

I’ve a fixed bed and think I could spare space underneath it for a second battery. Wondering if anyone else has done this or any thoughts on my proposal please?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Second leisure battery?

Post by g8dhe » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:19 pm

Best to do a power budget and work out what you need and what sort of reserve you want.

I use a 100 Watt panel charging a 100AmpHour battery, I run a compressor fridge 24/7 along with usual lighting and charging and then on top I run an amateur radio transceiver (100 Watt) and a laptop that consumes more than your average one (180 Watt when flat out). Whilst I use EHU whenever I can I have never run out even when wild/urban camping and using the laptop a lot after photo-shoots.

There is nothing stopping you putting more capacity in, but be sure you can charge it in the time needed either by driving, solar or EHU - hence the need to work out a power budget.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”