Mushroom roof and fiamma awnings

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

bongorunners
Apprentice Bongonaut

Mushroom roof and fiamma awnings

Post by bongorunners » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi
Just got our Bongo with a mushroom roof and looking to buy a f35 awning. Has anyone fitted a fiamma to a bongo with a mushroom roof? Can see postings for AFT but not mushroom- can we use the same brackets suggested? All advice appreciated.
briwy
Supreme Being

Re: Mushroom roof and fiamma awnings

Post by briwy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:47 pm

Yes you can, we had one with our mushroom roof.
What you need to be aware off is that the eye for raising lowering the roof is behind the awning (I think JAL my have changed this now though?) which makes it impossible to use the pole.
However it is possible to push it up from inside, hard work to start until the gas struts take over.
To get it down again I fastened some webbing to the bolts that hold eye on so that it can be pulled down. Be VERY careful doing this as it will come down with a hell of thump if you just let it come down by itself. You have to "catch" it and lower it gently, again be careful as it's very heavy.
I used the VW T4 gutter mount brackets but also bolted them though the body with stainless bolts. This stops the brackets moving and bending the gutter and causing problems.
Few pics here give the general idea.

couple of cheap walking poles keep the fabric tight and stop it flapping.

agentdagnamit
Bongonaut

Post by agentdagnamit » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:40 pm

Hi. Just trying to resurrect an old thread, as I'm in exactly the same position. I'd like to out an F35 on a mushroom roof

A couple of questions:

Did you have to remove the original metal hook point that the pole used to close the roof loops over? Or does it fit behind the awning if you use T3 or T4 brackets?

And if you want to bolt the awning brackets to the van, do you need to remove some of the interior panels to screw in a nut, or did you use some sort of self tapping bolt ) screw?

Thanks!
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:03 pm

Agentdagnamit, thanks for working out the answer to your own question. =D> :) It'll be useful for others with the same problem.
Here's agentdagnamits info on an awning and brackets that fit with the JAL mushroom roof: viewtopic.php?p=722495#p722495
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”