Automatic Gearbox Oil Cooler Pipes DIY job?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

steve7713
Apprentice Bongonaut

Automatic Gearbox Oil Cooler Pipes DIY job?

Post by steve7713 » Thu May 12, 2022 9:47 pm

HI all, my van just failed the MOT drop links, and some welding, both not a surprise. The one that did surprise me on the day was the Automatic Gearbox Oil Cooler Pipes, one of the pipes decided to split when it was in the MOT bay. I have booked in to a local garage next week for a quote.

Is is this a DIY job, It looks like 4 bolts and 4 hoses to deal with. I expect the rust bolts will be an issue as maybe the jubilee clips could be rusted over. But due to the length of the hoses can these be done on the road side as it was, to be able to get them in and around the area looks like a lot of manoeuvring my be needed to get them to fit.

I do not mind getting my hand dirty, but as it's part of the MOT I do not want to start a job that I can not finish if I can help it.

Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Automatic Gearbox Oil Cooler Pipes DIY job?

Post by g8dhe » Fri May 13, 2022 8:32 am

I guess you have found this thread ? https://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum ... p?p=571797
also Muz or Ady may spot this but I'm sure they have a link to the original posts where Ady removed and replaced the pipes - a very fiddly job as I recall!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri May 13, 2022 4:17 pm

Yes, I was only watching but I'd say it's definitely not a DIY job, but possible. Ady did the coolant pipe plus the two ATF pipes, plus a few other things that day, it appears the pipes get nailed to the chassis early in the production process, Mazda didn't seem to expect them to need replacing. We're assuming you need to change the steel pipes, not just the rubber pipes at each end.
steve7713
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by steve7713 » Fri May 13, 2022 8:55 pm

Thanks, I did not find the link as part of my search.

When I seen were the pipes were located it fits with Mazda put them in 1st, and when I seen the location and the route of it I thought it maybe a bigger job that I was willing to take on short notice. They were on the to do list, thought I would get the MOT under my belt before I need to get to this.

Get the garage to do this, cross it off the list and move to another task :)
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sat May 14, 2022 8:19 am

I think the coolant pipe on the other side of the chassis is even worse, not had to have that done (yet) but I think the radiator has to come out for it to be removed forwards.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat May 14, 2022 8:47 am

The pipes shown are coolant pipes not auto gear box flow and return pipes to radiator cooler not a particular hard job to repair/replace.
steve7713
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by steve7713 » Sat May 14, 2022 8:55 am

It is the gear box oil cooler pipes that I have split. on the drivers side. steel pipes.

Return to “Techie Stuff”