Rough Idle / Vibration

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

saihaynes
Apprentice Bongonaut

Rough Idle / Vibration

Post by saihaynes » Wed May 11, 2022 8:47 pm

Hi All,

Newbie here, my friends Bongo (he's not "online" so to speak) started having a rough idle on startup and when stationary.

He says I quote "The seats vibrate and it sounds like its coming from the engine". Its a 2004 Petrol Friendee if that makes a difference.

I asked him to take a video of the sound as I've had similar issues with coilpacks, cam sensors in other motors

Any advice greatly appreciated, its booked into a local garage for Saturday for someone far more qualified to take a look

https://rb.gy/453ol5

Many Thanks

Sai
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: Rough Idle / Vibration

Post by Ian » Thu May 12, 2022 8:09 am

Sai, the problem here is that people will be afraid to click on the video link in case it's malware, especially as this is your first post. Can you post the video on a different platform (Youtube?) instead? Also put your physical location in your profile.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
saihaynes
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by saihaynes » Thu May 12, 2022 11:52 am

Hi Ian,

No problem - thank you, updated profile and uploaded to YT

https://youtube.com/shorts/5lK1Jb2gmxc?feature=share

Cheers

Sai
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu May 12, 2022 6:17 pm

Which petrol engine is it ? 2l or V6 I suspect a 2l. If its generating a lot of vibration in neutral then suspect one cylinder isn't firing so perhaps start with the ignition system and spark plugs, check the leads and the distributor.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
saihaynes
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by saihaynes » Thu May 12, 2022 6:20 pm

g8dhe wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:17 pm Which petrol engine is it ? 2l or V6 I suspect a 2l. If its generating a lot of vibration in neutral then suspect one cylinder isn't firing so perhaps start with the ignition system and spark plugs, check the leads and the distributor.
Hi Geoff, 2L and thankyou, am heading out there tomorrow armed with multimeter, basic tools etc to have a quick look before it heading to the garage on Saturday morning. Will do my best to eliminate what I can
saihaynes
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by saihaynes » Fri May 13, 2022 3:59 pm

g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:33 am

These video's aren't visible and really we need more info like which of the three engine types your friend has there are 2 petrol types and a diesel, then the 3 different styles of roof.
There can be many causes for shaking and rough running!
Has it been checked for damaged tyres especially on the inner side, where its less visible, has it had the prop and drive shafts checked for broken supports and U/J's several of them have been reported recently, possibly caused by lack of maintenance and road state these days.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”