Racks / Boxes / Storage

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

JackLivock86
Apprentice Bongonaut

Racks / Boxes / Storage

Post by JackLivock86 » Fri May 21, 2021 9:43 am

Hello team!

I'm after a bit of advice regarding external storage for our Bongo.

We have a 'mushroom' roof (hinged along the long edge, rather than the back) and I was wondering if there are any suitable roof racks for such a setup.

Also, I have seen that rear door racks are quite popular, but was wondering what kind of weight these can carry without damaging either the Bongo or the rack itself.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jack
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Racks / Boxes / Storage

Post by g8dhe » Fri May 21, 2021 11:05 am

Never seen a rack designed for the Mushroom roof style, and not sure I would want to trust the GRP on aftermarket designs in anyway for its load bearing or stress strength!

There are the rear bike rack styles and the rear towbar style. The bike rack style means lifting everything up to put in and difficulty raising the tailgate afterwards. The towbar is limited to 85Kg including the rack and also limits lifting the tailgate as it obstructs. However I forget who did it but they used a towbar mounted bike rack which included a tilting mechanism to clear the tailgate on which they mounted a Thule carry box, about the best combination I have seen!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun May 23, 2021 10:46 pm

We use a box that I made (well adapted) that goes on the rear door mounted bike rack. It is a nice height to lift things in and out of and is very useful extra storage. The porta potty usually lives in there when going to a site with no facilities.

We also have a roof rack and long Thule box, but at 6'3" I'm only just talk enough to reach fully inside it when standing on the step.

I have seen long gutter mount roof bars on a bongo before with an after market roof. I don't know how much weight the gutters are rated to carry though, and obviously you'd have to remove the bars to lift the roof
JackLivock86
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by JackLivock86 » Mon May 24, 2021 7:19 pm

Thanks for your replies!

I think I may have got the incorrect terminology for our roof - Its a pop top that hinges on the long edge. Looks like 'mushroom' roofs pop out in the middle (like... well... a mushroom).

Your answers are helpful though. I'm a shortarse and almost certainly wouldn't be able to reach into a box centred on the roof. I'll dig a bit deeper into rear racks!

Thanks
tuttiweb
Junior Bongonaut

Post by tuttiweb » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:55 pm

JackLivock86 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:19 pm I'll dig a bit deeper into rear racks!
Where did you end up with this please? I’m looking to add a storage box mounted on a rear tailgate bike rack too, but all the model racks and boxes I see in the recommendations are old and discontinued,

There must be some around that will fit and do the job nicely.
2000 Ford Freda
South Wales
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:05 pm

I use a Thule bike rack for my bikes and it also enables me to use the Thule Backup box to carry more gear when camping.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
tuttiweb
Junior Bongonaut

Post by tuttiweb » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:29 pm

Flanners wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:05 pm I use a Thule bike rack for my bikes and it also enables me to use the Thule Backup box to carry more gear when camping.
Can you let us know the model of rack and box which works for you please?

I’m very keen to sort some external storage now.
2000 Ford Freda
South Wales
JackLivock86
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by JackLivock86 » Wed May 04, 2022 2:38 pm

Hi,

Sorry I've not been on the forum for a while.

We ended up b*stardising an old Vito rack with some new brackets made by a neighbour with welding kit.

The main issue was getting the top brackets to fit under the mini spoiler, but as this spoiler isn't standard, you might get away with it.

Needed to chop a bit off the tubing of the Vito rack, but nothing that couldn't be done with a hacksaw then re-drilling the holes.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:02 pm

I have a Thule 973 bike rack on my van permanently fitted requiring no mods or cuts etc and use the Thule BackUp storage box as and when which is made to fit the rack. Works well and takes the duvets, chairs etc. The rrp for the box is now £530 yikes! Got mine used on eBay was used for one golf trip apparently for around £200 at that price worth it as keeps camping uncluttered.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”