NEW MEMBERS! Please say hello here!

Moderator: Doone

Reggiethebongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: NEW MEMBERS! Please say hello here!

Post by Reggiethebongo » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:23 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Lisa I'm new to the club and have part ownership of Reggie the Bongo with my sister Dawn and we've owned him together for three years now. I'm completely useless with all things computer/phone, so I'm not sure this message will reach anyone!!
I have a question about our cambelt ( do I put it on this ??😳 ) oh well here goes...his last cambelt change was in April 2011 at 103,058.00 miles his mileage now is 142,510.00. I've spoken to a couple of people who have suggested I get it changed ASAP but others have said it hasn't done enough mileage yet and to wait.
He was first registered in 1998 and converted in 2008 from what I can gather. Is there anyone out there that could advise please?!
Thanks in advance.
Lisa
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:47 pm

Hi Lisa

Very warm welcome to the Forum.

I would get it done asap, the service period is 5 years or 100,000 KMS, whichever comes first, not the longest. Also worth replacing the water pump and a couple of other bits while the work is done.

It's a few quid but a fraction of the cost of a destroyed engine.

If you pop a rough location in your profile we can likely recommend a garage near you. :wink:
Reggiethebongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Reggiethebongo » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:58 am

Hi, thanks so much for your advice. I'm in the suffolk area CO10.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:57 am

Quite a long way from me, but a quick look at the list of Bongo Friendly garages pops up KP Auto Repairs, CB9 8PH.

https://www.kpauto.repair/

You need to use a garage which understands the how to bleed the cooling system on the diesel and V6. The 2 ltr is self bleeding.
Nceva
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Nceva » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:56 am

Hi, New member here. Joined the club a few months ago, but my first post! Think my membership may be short lived as I put my bongo in for an MOT today to be told it'll need thousands in welding. I was expecting maybe to have the sills replaced, arches are ok, and had a clean mot last year (prior to my ownership so a little skeptical)

They've offered not to do/charge for the mot. I'm around the Southport area, and wondered if there's anywhere recommended I could get a bongo familiar opinion?

Many thanks for any help or advise!

Nat
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:56 pm

Welcome aboard!

Might be worth logging into the Members area https://igmaynard.co.uk/wp-login.php?re ... nard.co.uk
and then looking in the Database section you will see a spreadsheet of recommended garages its in various formats to suit most people.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:05 pm

Yeah they'll really be doing you a favour not charging for the MOT but charging thousands for a bit of welding work, I suggest paying the MOT and finding an honest garage or a local welder for the work. My neighbour has a Delicia which needed welding, the lad he got brought his kit to the drive cut out the crap and did the welding, my skinflint neighbour won't have paid hundreds never mind thousands.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:12 pm

Also be very wary if he suddenly offers to “Take it off your hands for £500”.

It's been known. [-X
Nceva
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Nceva » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:48 pm

Many thanks for the replies. I'm going to try a couple of local fabricators for their opinions/quote. unfortunately I can't seem to find a mobile welder. I'm tempted to have a crack at it myself and treat it as a project. I've done a few small scruffy repairs on an old xtype before; comfortable getting stuck in and learning, but my welding is pretty slow and and very amature! ....what's the worst that could happen #-o
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:12 pm

Lots of Bongo owners do their own welding, as you said, whats the worst thst can happen.
You said you're in Southport. I don't know any garages in that area, for a second opinion. But the North West group may be able to help, here's the link: viewforum.php?f=25
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Cain
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Cain » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:24 pm

Hello!
I’m new member of the group - so new I don’t actually have a Bongo yet - please don’t hound me out!
I’m looking at a few likely candidates for sale in Devon and Gloucs, but it’s a big decision - any Bongo would have to be our main vehicle too it’s a big investment - upfront and for future maintenance budgeting! Not going into this with an entirely rose-tinted view…
I hope to join your ranks as a fully fledged Bongoteer, Bongonaut or whatever the preferred term is!
fittobust
Junior Bongonaut

Post by fittobust » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:42 pm

Hi all, new member here situated in the Plymouth area. Just joined with my 2002 Caribbean Blue Bongo tin top with a JAL elevating roof. Bought “Bluey” off eBay in March this year and have been spending my time building a removable rear kitchen conversion. No big trips out as yet only day trips to the beach and the moors. Looking for a rear sliding bench seat, any condition considered as I want to experiment with a rotating seat.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:55 pm

Welcome aboard! Good to hear that your adding your own flavour to the van ;-)
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:31 pm

Yep, welcome aboard. 8)
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:06 pm

Welcome to Bongo life!
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.

Return to “Devon & Cornwall/Kernow”