Headlight Problem

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Mari
Junior Bongonaut

Headlight Problem

Post by Mari » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:43 pm

My rather rusty Bongo passed its MOT on Christmas Eve after a lot of welding. Seemed fine.

Haven't driven it for about a week. Had a hospital appointment today...got back and realised I'd left the lights on. Still started. Phew!

However...when I took the van out again later, I realised that on the driver side, the side light is now coming on instead of the headlight. (Passenger side, the headlight comes on okay.) I don't think that was the case when I took her out earlier.

When I checked the turning signals and main beam, they were fine, so its not the bulbs.

Then checked the side lights. Driver side light comes on. Passenger side light does not. (I could swear that the passenger side headlight came on the first twice I did that, but I'm now wondering whether I imagined it. It's certainly not happening now.) Have also realised that there's no warning beep when I leave the lights on. That would explain how I managed to leave the lights on earlier. (That plus stupidity.) I now remember that I left the lights on once last week as well.

There is bit of rust round the driver light. (That's not one of the areas that was welded.)

I'm taking the van into a garage tomorrow, because I'm not savvy enough to deal with stuff like this on my own, but I'm wondering whether I've spent all that money on welding etc for nowt. I'm worried that I'm going to have to bid farewell to Betsy.

The garage is going to get their sparky to have a look at it, but I'm not sure how knowledgeable he is about Bongos. (I know that only one chap there deals with Bongo coolant problems.) The sparky replaced the fog lamp for me a few months ago. (It was working, but the assembly had been bashed and the wire was hanging down - I duct taped it up until I could get to the garage.)

My first thought was fuses, but I have a horrible feeling that it must be more than that, given the business of the side light working on one light and the head lamp working on the other. Is there anything in particular that the sparky could be looking at, do you think? Or should I brace myself for bad news?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Headlight Problem

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:31 pm

The electrics aren't particularly difficult on a Bongo, most likely corroded earth connections and possibly blown lamps.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Mari
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Mari » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:57 pm

Thank you - it was very kind of you to take the time to answer. I appreciate it.
Mari
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Mari » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:35 pm

Update.

The lights only needed new bulbs. I was thrown by the fact that there was no 'beep' when the key was in the ignition - taken in combination I panicked and thought it was some unsolvable electric issue.

The garage is telling me it's to do with a faulty door switch? They've ordered a new one from ebay. Phew! I'm so relieved.
Rickster
Bongonaut

Post by Rickster » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:46 pm

The door switches are easy to fix, a single screw and it's out.
I had problems with the passenger door switch not working, a few kicks made something happen but it was only temporary.
The buzzer not working suggests a connector may be unplugged under the steering wheel, does the key light come on when the door is open?
Mari
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Mari » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:31 pm

I think it does. (I'll have to go check now.) I actually mentioned the white connector thingy to them. The reverse beeper was still working which was another reason for me being puzzled about it all.
Mari
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Mari » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:33 pm

Oh sorry - I see you've specified under the steering wheel, not the one I was thinking of. I'll check the light in the morning and mention that to them if it's not on. Thanks very much.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:04 pm

This one is sometimes disconnected if you like to leave the drivers door open;
key and door bleeping stop.jpg
as it stops the beeper when disconnected/pulled apart!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Mari
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Mari » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:09 am

Thank you very much. Shall have a look.

Return to “Techie Stuff”