My newest homebuild

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

callum
Bongolier

My newest homebuild

Post by callum » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:11 am

A few years ago i built a conversion in our old Bongo.
Unfortunately i never got to use the van for camping before i had to sell it 😭 this was the build thread ( viewtopic.php?t=71148 )
Roll forward 4 years and i got another Bongo.
This one is very similar to the old, '95, gull seats pretty standard.
I set about getting ideas for the conversion. Much like the old, i needed it to have 4 "proper" seats as i wanted the kids to be safe in the back. I toyed with the idea od putting the single rails at the back and removing the gull seats, but i just couldn't get past the practicality of the gull seats.
I have nearly finished the camper build, just need mattresses to be made and i am ready to go, i think.
This build also incorporated a cat flap. The removed section forms part of the bed downstairs, so means i can store that panel out of the way when not in use.
It is, as with all Bongo's in my opinion, a compromise due to limited space for 4 humans, but should provide enough for the 4 of us for a weekend away. An awning will be used for any longer stays.
I do have a replacement diesel fuel pump yo fit in the coming weeks, then i will ensure it is all ready to go for our first trip, probably to Cornwall in June (although we may do a local weekend away or two before to check it is ok).
A link to my google images account shows the build pictures. I have given up on trying to get it work correctly on here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PBpHso6EacuoBNba7
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: My newest homebuild

Post by Bob » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:35 pm

Cracking job. =D>

Thanks for pics. 8)
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:27 pm

Aye up Plonk,
The cushions will go on top of the box or be stored "up top" on top of the rear section. Haven't fully decided yet as i am waiting for them to be made. That part will be 90cm long, so if in two bits is only 45cm of space taken up. The possibilities are endless 😂
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:12 pm

Pretty much yeah. I couldn't forgive myself if one were to fail in an accident, so better the devil you know.
Interestingly, my nan (!!) bought my Vito off me and has just fitted a rock'n'roll bed to it. Looks great, but is definitely not as wide as my bed will be.
Also, money. Crash tested rockers are waaaaaay expensive, i built my conversion in total for less than £300 i would say, so i can't grumble.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:19 pm

Looking good callum and welcome back :D
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:01 pm

That looks a brilliant job, can't quite figure out what you're using the forward unit for but anyways.

If you had the time / interest, I'd consider buying a set of the units under & behind the gullwing seats from you! Are they easily removable?
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:53 pm

Hi Alkers,
The forward unit is to be used as part of the bed, storage and as a casual table. So multipurpose, hence being on the runners still. If i did the Ebay thing ans out a bottle or plonk and some plates on it, it'd look less like an afterthought 😂😂
It means the downstairs bed measures 190x120, which is the size of a small double bed, so i will be able to put a normal fitted sheet on it and have some semi-comfort with two of us on it.

No plans to put the units into production, but they all just pull out in a matter of minutes, so easy to lug stuff still if needs be.
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:04 pm

Fantastic, excellent work.

You don't have the templates for the individual pieces by any chance? Particularly the unit underneath the rear seats?

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”