Sub frame

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

yorkshirelass
Tribal Elder

Sub frame

Post by yorkshirelass » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:31 pm

Has anyone come across a bongo with a badly rusted sub frame ? I ask as just been told that mine has this problem . I’ve since contacted the the reputable garage for bongos used last year for lots of welding etc, and told they’ve never seen one..only some surface rust. I don’t know wha5 to do now as was considering selling mine for a slightly wider van...due to my decreasing mobility, but px is not looking good. Any suggestions please...I cannot afford to spend another£3500 on it again this year. It’s a 96.2.5 diesel . Also resprayed blue 3 years ago after new high top fitted. Been offered £3000 for it. I’m heartbroken .
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Sub frame

Post by g8dhe » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:45 pm

Never quite sure what garages mean by sub-frame with respect to a Bongo! It doesn't have one, what is does have is cross members that go across the vehicle from side to side and these are welded to the two main side members see the picture below, its normally the front and/or rear cross members that rust, both are easily replaceable with new cross members available from the normal bongo shops;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
yorkshirelass
Tribal Elder

Post by yorkshirelass » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:10 pm

Thanks for diagrams ...but it does not mean a lot tome ..sadly. However, if a garage has said it’s ..done..the front cross member..due to rust...how can they then comment on my wording of..sub frame..saying the subframe is different...it’s made from solid steel...and have never come across one that is badly rusted in...many years of servicing them ? Yes..they used the word sub frame...despite welding my front cross member 10 months ago...now said to be very rusty...plus it was under sealed by..said garage at the sam3 time. Who doi believe? Thank you for trying..but I’m no clearer as to any culpabilityhere! Probably my wording...?
yorkshirelass
Tribal Elder

Post by yorkshirelass » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:25 pm

If front sub frame does mean front cross member...it’s only £140 from Ian..inc vat...supposedly done 10 months ago...so why is it rusted badly in this short time...I’ve not been travelling in Alaska..probably driven 3-4 thousand miles in that time...that’s tops ! No long adventures etc. Getting more confused the more I know ! Any further advice please...anyone??
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:11 pm

yorkshirelass wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:31 pm Has anyone come across a bongo with a badly rusted sub frame ? I ask as just been told that mine has this problem . I’ve since contacted the the reputable garage for bongos used last year for lots of welding etc, and told they’ve never seen one..only some surface rust. I don’t know wha5 to do now as was considering selling mine for a slightly wider van...due to my decreasing mobility, but px is not looking good. Any suggestions please...I cannot afford to spend another£3500 on it again this year. It’s a 96.2.5 diesel . Also resprayed blue 3 years ago after new high top fitted. Been offered £3000 for it. I’m heartbroken .
Probably need to let the reputable garage inspect and give their thoughts. Seems unlikely they'd have done all that work and missed anything crucial but ..... Fingers crossed for you, and keep us posted.
yorkshirelass
Tribal Elder

Post by yorkshirelass » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:53 pm

Mike, have contacted them nice reply...but...rust can happen, even in 10 months due to British weather etc etc . It's a no no..sadly. Would not recommend them ever again...yet done so many times up to now. It would be sad if they think they can hang on to their reputation...and deny any responsibility for poor level of workmanship....after spending thousands of pounds with them last year. I'm sickened...to say the least. You think you've found a trust worthy place for your special vehicle...to find out ...they don't want to know only months down the line. No idea what to do next..I'm just stuck. Hope you are well love...and have a good place to send you beloved motor . X
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:26 pm

yorkshirelass wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:53 pm Mike, have contacted them nice reply...but...rust can happen, even in 10 months due to British weather etc etc . It's a no no..sadly. Would not recommend them ever again...yet done so many times up to now. It would be sad if they think they can hang on to their reputation...and deny any responsibility for poor level of workmanship....after spending thousands of pounds with them last year. I'm sickened...to say the least. You think you've found a trust worthy place for your special vehicle...to find out ...they don't want to know only months down the line. No idea what to do next..I'm just stuck. Hope you are well love...and have a good place to send you beloved motor . X
Hmmmm, sounds odd as welding work should last some while. Who is saying you have a rusted sub frame (agree with Geoff btw that its an odd term to use with a Bongo). I'd try not to panic yet until its clear what the problem is.

All good here though my Bongo is due some welding soon. Wish me luck!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:43 am

Could you visit Bongo Spares or Kloonsey for an opinion?

Hope it works out ok. [-o<
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:30 pm

g8dhe wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:45 pm Never quite sure what garages mean by sub-frame with respect to a Bongo! It doesn't have one, what is does have is cross members that go across the vehicle from side to side and these are welded to the two main side members see the picture below, its normally the front and/or rear cross members that rust, both are easily replaceable with new cross members available from the normal bongo shops;

Most of these components are classed as frames, if they are welded/bolted to the floor pan they are Subframes, not like the old Mini when the subframes were one un boltable unit.
yorkshirelass
Tribal Elder

Post by yorkshirelass » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:32 pm

But...seems bongos don’t have a sub frame ! How are we non mechanics supposed to understand what we are told if the universal name is wrong ??? So...£ nearly £3000 for welding underneath and waxoyled..or whatever sealant was used...does not cover the...subframe...all done last October ?? I just don’t get it bob! Inc health check, service and mot...i5 was £3, 500 !! Hope you and others can see why I’m not only mystified how the front subframecould be rotten ..10 months later...the sealant did not work either ..? I’ve not done 3000 miles in that time..nearer two. Surely this all cannotbe right...it just feels so very wrong. No I cannot take it to one of above mentioned as it was them that I’m complaining about. Its now booked in for re tracking this afternoon...again 10 months after service etc.. perhaps this last..is normal....but NEVER had to book my bongo of 13 years looking after it....just for tracking. Will ask today’s garage for a second opinion re the rust etc. Wish me luck ! Thanks too for responding..you guys on here do try to help us bongo loving eejits who can be conned...sometimes.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:35 pm

yorkshirelass wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:32 pm But...seems bongos don’t have a sub frame ! How are we non mechanics supposed to understand what we are told if the universal name is wrong ??? So...£ nearly £3000 for welding underneath and waxoyled..or whatever sealant was used...does not cover the...subframe...all done last October ?? I just don’t get it bob! Inc health check, service and mot...i5 was £3, 500 !! Hope you and others can see why I’m not only mystified how the front subframecould be rotten ..10 months later...the sealant did not work either ..? I’ve not done 3000 miles in that time..nearer two. Surely this all cannotbe right...it just feels so very wrong. No I cannot take it to one of above mentioned as it was them that I’m complaining about. Its now booked in for re tracking this afternoon...again 10 months after service etc.. perhaps this last..is normal....but NEVER had to book my bongo of 13 years looking after it....just for tracking. Will ask today’s garage for a second opinion re the rust etc. Wish me luck ! Thanks too for responding..you guys on here do try to help us bongo loving eejits who can be conned...sometimes.
I think that might be well worth while, and if they see a problem get them to detail just which bits are in question!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:42 pm

teenmal wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:30 pm
g8dhe wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:45 pm Never quite sure what garages mean by sub-frame with respect to a Bongo! It doesn't have one, what is does have is cross members that go across the vehicle from side to side and these are welded to the two main side members see the picture below, its normally the front and/or rear cross members that rust, both are easily replaceable with new cross members available from the normal bongo shops;
Most of these components are classed as frames, if they are welded/bolted to the floor pan they are Subframes, not like the old Mini when the subframes were one un boltable unit.
So are you saying everything other than the floor pan is classed as a "sub-frame" ?

I've used this as my understanding of what is a sub-frame https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subframe
A subframe is a structural component of a vehicle, such as an automobile or an aircraft, that uses a discrete, separate structure within a larger body-on-frame or unit body to carry certain components, such as the engine, drivetrain, or suspension.

Which is where I can't see that there is any "discrete, separate structure", there are individual components side and cross members, but I don't see any separate structure as such ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
yorkshirelass
Tribal Elder

Post by yorkshirelass » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:34 pm

Well...what a turn up...seems my bongo is NOT CORRODED... the caps who looked at it said it’s a GOOD VAN...notnin* needs doing underneath...and the welding done is..very tidy/ done well !! I could have kissed them!😳😂😂😂 so...the bar steward who was trying to sell me a van I went to view ...was lying ! Further told these chaps that I was offered three grand for it...both their jaws dropped! I’ve had a close call here . Seems myvan will be good for a few more years ...🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗 just #hows there still are bar stewards out here . I’m now keeping my van and having the kitchen unitetc either removed or unit cutdown...so I have more space to move around myfixed bed. If I’m selling the whole unit...any ideas on what to charg3 would be most welcome ! I now need to apologise to the original garage who did all the expensive work .
Thanks again everyone for trying to help me....I’m now a very happy...but ageing bunny again. 😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:00 pm

To use the Bristolian - "Well done my lover".

Seriously, glad it's looking good. =D>
yorkshirelass
Tribal Elder

Post by yorkshirelass » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:38 pm

Thanks Bob!! Such a relief love!!

Return to “Techie Stuff”