Farewell Harry Ashcroft

Stuff about the website, the forum and club administration.

Moderator: Ian

Ian
Supreme Being

Farewell Harry Ashcroft

Post by Ian » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:57 am

It is with sadness that we announce the passing of long serving member Harry Ashcroft of Cumberland (he hated the word "Cumbria"). Harry joined the club in 2006 and played a key part in organising meetings in the North West including Silverdale, Cartmel and Dent. He was a keen walker and a member of the South Lakes Mountain Rescue team. We all knew him as the "bird seed man" because he spent his days delivering the stuff to pet shops all over the north.

Bye bye Harry; we will miss you, and we will have a celebratory pint of Jennings in your memory.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Farewell Harry Ashcroft

Post by Bob » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:28 pm

Very sad news indeed. :(

I member Harry from way back, a splendid chap and geat contributor to the Club.

Love to Harry's family and loved ones.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:22 pm

We as a family remember Harry as a kind and sharing man who always gave you it straight, whether you wanted it or not. Lol.
He made my family welcome to our first exploratory meet at silverdale over 10 years ago, he even fed us all when we're still chatting to our new found friends several hours later, we were hooked and bought our first bongo. Harry loved to organise the northwest meets and this provided a great environment for my three girls to grow up around. Over 10 years later I look back on this time with fondness especially the beer festivals.
You will be missed Harry. Rip.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:36 pm

Very sad indeed. We too first met Harry at Silverdale, 2007 it was for us when we were investigating Bongos, had visited a few dealers and wanted to see the 'human' side of the van. We were in a regular car at that point but Harry welcomed us as day-visitors and directed us to various vans with all manner of awning setups.

Oddly, he and Muz Jr had a lot to discuss as they both went to Liverpool John Moores University, albeit at very different times.

Sincere condolences to all friends & family.

Team Muz
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:50 pm

PS, this was probably one of the best days ever, arranged by Harry:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=51890&p=522691

Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:50 pm

Thanks for the old post, Muz. It was good to see old names like Kirsty and Maxheadroom.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:14 pm

Fond memories of talking with Harry about his youthful exploits wild camping in barns in Snowdonia. He was a bit of a kindred spirit and a wonderful friend to Bongo newbie like me in 2007. Last saw him when he was camped next to us at the Tough Northerners event a few years ago. Rest in peace Harry, you were held in high regard by us all. Mike & Trish.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:37 pm

So sorry to hear about Harry. I only met him a couple of times but he was a lovely guy!

My condolences to the family.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
alant54
Tribal Elder

Post by alant54 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:48 am

A very sad farewell to Harry of the bouncing bunny avatar :( ...since Harry's health caused him to withdraw from organising his famous meets the whole , once vibrant , North West section seems to have gone into decline.. :(
Harry has already been missed and is a great loss to our Bongo family.

Alan
Alan...still plodding on....!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:07 pm

alant54 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:48 am A very sad farewell to Harry of the bouncing bunny avatar :( ...since Harry's health caused him to withdraw from organising his famous meets the whole , once vibrant , North West section seems to have gone into decline.. :(
Harry has already been missed and is a great loss to our Bongo family.

Alan
Wotcha Alan. Well I'm still here, Bongoplod is still here, Karena is still here, Blobber and Diamond I think are still here (but not sure about their Bongos) and the Muzes are still here. Bongoplod and me and Trish are hoping to join Jo at her Allithwaite gathering 26-28 July if you are around. Karen, Mountaingoat and Diamond may also make it there. The Woodenwheels are out there somewhere also, Debs and David, Ady, Geoff, and others I've probably overlooked to mention!

Return to “Admin & Club Matters”