Side decal remover

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Redpepsi31
Junior Bongonaut

Side decal remover

Post by Redpepsi31 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:42 am

Hi.
Really struggled with removing the original side decals from all 4 side panels but all of them were chipped faded etc. and were in poor condition so they needed to come off.
I was able to remove the decal with a hair dryer
This was quite successful although certain colours in particular the gold was a real pain and wouldn't shift without serious thumbnail scratching.
My problems really began when trying to remove the adhesive/glue residue left behind after removing the decal.
I've bought vans before and had no such problems removing the signage etc , I assume this is because the decals have been aftermarket whereas the Mazda ones i guess have been on since the Bongo was new.
I started with wd40 then white spirit , thinners , gluegoo or such like none of which touched the glue.
I then popped down to a local bodyshop and quizzed them about how they tackle similiar problems.
The result was the purchase of 4 cans of Rolec bond breaker. 2 x new formula and 2 x thixotropic.
This stuff really works ideally used on a warmish day but without direct sunlight as this will cause the solvent to evaporate too quickly.
It turns the glue to mush allowing you to scrape it off although i must say when it was originally fitted it certainly wasn't meant to come off!
I used all 4 cans and it cost circa £24.00 but i believe it was well worth it as i honestly couldn't work out how i was going to shift it otherwise.
The Bongo's off to the bodyshop tomorrow for some rear wheelarch repairs then i can put my billabong aftermarket decals on to the lower door sections between both wheel arches.
Flanners
Bongolier

Re: Side decal remover

Post by Flanners » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Why did they not sell you one of these as bodyshops I have used use them, I used heat and it was a PITA, this is far quicker and easier:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powertec-Str ... XQiNdRcTNK
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
steveri010
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by steveri010 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:45 am

Flanners wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:27 pm Why did they not sell you one of these as bodyshops I have used use them, I used heat and it was a PITA, this is far quicker and easier:

transfert cdg
Hello!
This is my first time here and I just want to say that I’m very happy to be here and to share my opinion.
Thanks!
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:06 am

steveri010 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:45 am
Flanners wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:27 pm Why did they not sell you one of these as bodyshops I have used use them, I used heat and it was a PITA, this is far quicker and easier:

transfert cdg
Hello!
This is my first time here and I just want to say that I’m very happy to be here and to share my opinion.
Thanks!
A very warm welcome to the forum which I hope you'll find useful. Here's hoping you have plenty of opportunities to share your experience and thoughts, they are always welcome.
You may or may not be familiar with online Forums so apologies if this is telling grandmother to suck eggs. Forum chit chat is split into several broad categories, found by clicking the Forums button towards the left end of the top green bar (this is when viewed on a PC screen, can't remember where it is on a mobile device but probably under the top left or right menu options).

It is good to post in the most relevant category, or forum group, and you are welcome to start a new conversation, called a topic, if any of the recent topics don't match what you want to say - just click the New Topic button once in your chosen group. I hope this helps you get the most out of this forum. Please don't be offended if there aren't too many welcomes to your first post, as it was a teensy weensy bit in the wrong place! :lol:
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:20 pm

Welcome from me, too. 8)

And do ask anything you like, as Chris says, we're a friendly crew. :)
martix011
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by martix011 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:46 am

Redpepsi31 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:42 am Hi.
Really struggled with removing the original side decals from all 4 side panels but all of them were chipped faded etc. and were in poor condition so they needed to come off.
I was able to remove the decal with a hair dryer
This was quite successful although certain colours in meilleurs credits immo particular the gold was a real pain and wouldn't shift without serious thumbnail scratching.
My problems really began when trying to remove the adhesive/glue residue left behind after removing the decal.
I've bought vans before and had no such problems removing the signage etc , I assume this is because the decals have been aftermarket whereas the Mazda ones i guess have been on since the Bongo was new.
I started with wd40 then white spirit , thinners , gluegoo or such like none of which touched the glue.
I then popped down to a local bodyshop and quizzed them about how they tackle similiar problems.
The result was the purchase of 4 cans of Rolec bond breaker. 2 x new formula and 2 x thixotropic.
This stuff really works ideally used on a warmish day but without direct sunlight as this will cause the solvent to evaporate too quickly.
It turns the glue to mush allowing you to scrape it off although i must say when it was originally fitted it certainly wasn't meant to come off!
I used all 4 cans and it cost circa £24.00 but i believe it was well worth it as i honestly couldn't work out how i was going to shift it otherwise.
The Bongo's off to the bodyshop tomorrow for some rear wheelarch repairs then i can put my billabong aftermarket decals on to the lower door sections between both wheel arches.
Hello!
This is a good article because there are many tips and also many advices that will be very useful to me.
Bongo Brain
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Brain » Tue May 28, 2019 2:36 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powertec-Str ... XQiNdRcTNK
Sorry to be late to the party. (Almost a year late! lol) But someone recently mentioned these wheel-decal-remover devices, and I hadn't seen them before. So belated thanks for posting that link. Hmmm, I really should get around to removing the decals on my van - they're not in awful condition - but I think the van will look better without them.

Cheers :D
Bongo Brain
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Brain » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:28 am

Quick question folks....
I want to remove the decals on my van. They're not in awful condition - in fact, they're not bad, give the age of the vehicle (I'm pretty sure they're original) Do those "Toffee Wheel" attachments last long, or do they wear down quite quickly?

I just want to know whether I need to order two... or perhaps more?
Cheers again all
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:08 pm

Make sure they have not been lacquered over....the wheels are designed to wear like an eraser, are you removing all the decals if you are get a couple.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:57 pm

Took most of the decals off my van during the week getting it ready for paint.

All it took was a hairdryer, petrol and patience :lol:
HenryClarkson
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by HenryClarkson » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:59 pm

+1 for toffee wheel. I tried everything else. Best 6 quid ever.
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Sun May 24, 2020 2:15 pm

Just to add to this post, I have just removed the ‘Aero’ decals from the doors of the van. Bit of elbow grease and a hairdryer for the top layer, but I know that lots of people have had issues with removing the glue residue underneath.

https://www.aonetools.co.uk/product/sea ... nt-cleaner

I used this and it was fantastic. Quick wipe over, wipe off, job done!!
Steve ASD
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Steve ASD » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:21 pm

Stevievee wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:15 pm Just to add to this post, I have just removed the ‘Aero’ decals from the doors of the van. Bit of elbow grease and a hairdryer for the top layer, but I know that lots of people have had issues with removing the glue residue underneath.

https://www.aonetools.co.uk/product/sea ... nt-cleaner

I used this and it was fantastic. Quick wipe over, wipe off, job done!!

Hiya,

The link doesn’t show the product anymore?

Was it a solvent?

TIA
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:31 pm

This was what I used, worked REALLY well!
Screenshot_20201012-163008_Samsung Internet.jpg
MsMcCherry
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by MsMcCherry » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:05 am

Hi. Im a new (proud) Bongo owner & ours had bumble bee decals everywhere. I peeled them off & removed the glue with T-Cut. Worked a treat. Hope this helps 😁

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”