40.8 MPG achieved

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Re: 40.8 MPG achieved

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon May 25, 2015 6:44 pm

I would try it without Millers for longer but the difference when I do not have it in (or at diluted quantities) is immediately apparent. I have not tested MPG but I can both hear and feel the engine reacting different, for the worse, noisier and slightly more gruff sounding. It feels so much more smooth with the Millers in and for a diesel that is quite an impact on the driving experience as they can be noisier and lumpier than a petrol by some margin.

I have had to boot it only once and I was not disappointed with the acceleration. I would not use it as a power booster though as it could provoke bad driving styles. For making a smoother and quieter driving experience it is worth it. I can only assume smoother and quieter means less friction and possibly better combustion from the higher cetane levels. I have not tested it so cannot conclusively state anything but it follows logically that Millers should help economy through smoother running and more powerful combustion and virtually all anecdotal reports online agree.

To quote something I found online:

"That sounds right. Higher cetane fuel will ignite sooner which leads to more complete burn which means less smoke and a tad more power and efficiency. You could also try powerservice since it's available in larger quantities which lowers you cost per dose. Also the relationship between dosage and increase in cetane isn't linear. The cetane level of the fuel prior to dosing also plays a part with how much of an increase you'll get."

This also suggests that MPG will be a function of the quality of fuel from the very outset which also makes sense. The wind speed comment is also a good point.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon May 25, 2015 7:15 pm

I'm about to try some Liqui Moly Diesel Purge in my Volvo as a lot of folk on that forum reckons it makes a big difference to the overall running. You can pour it in the tank but it's much more effective to run it neat by feeding it direct into the injector pump with the return pipe going back into the same container. One of my injectors is a bit noisy and I'm hoping a good clean with improve matters.

http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly/pro ... nt&land=gb

There's also a process called Terraclean which is similar principal of running the engine on a special cleaning fluid to shift the gunge although it'll cost around £90 as opposed to about £15 for Diesel Purge.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:16 am

In awe!

This mpg must need BOTH good driving style AND tip top engine. Still a pipe dream for me In spite of my engine now feeling better than ever (I'm sure it isn't A1) after a good service by ADS, fuel pump seals, EGR blanked, cruise control, fuel additive, non-supermarket fuel, new correct size tyres.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Tue May 26, 2015 2:55 pm

Recently bought a bottle of the millers additive and been using for the last few tanks of fuel, double dose on first tank. Done 500 mile overt the last week and there is a definite improvement in the running of the bongo. Accelerator is a lot more responsive and acceleration does seem to be a lot smoother and quicker. Not checked mpg figure yet but will do that over the next month or so. My all time average over 16000 miles is just over 24 miles to the gallon. Will be interesting to see the difference it makes.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:46 pm

al & chris wrote:Recently bought a bottle of the millers additive and been using for the last few tanks of fuel, double dose on first tank. Done 500 mile overt the last week and there is a definite improvement in the running of the bongo. Accelerator is a lot more responsive and acceleration does seem to be a lot smoother and quicker. Not checked mpg figure yet but will do that over the next month or so. My all time average over 16000 miles is just over 24 miles to the gallon. Will be interesting to see the difference it makes.
Glad to hear improvements are coming your way. I find it is a very obvious improvement as well not in the least unnoticeable. If you have significant deposit build up on intakes, injectors, valves and combustion areas you are likely to find that there is a progressive improvement with each tank as is starts dissolving deposits.Double dosing for a few tanks would be a good plan I think. About 6 months ago I ran a can of BG244 high power cleaner through for good measure. No need really though as I think a twin dose of Millers for a few tanks does a good clean up.

The biggy is driving at 50-55mph that helps hugely over and above 65-70mph. The difference is remarkable.
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:37 pm

Any idea if using the Millers would be any good when running with a diesel/veg oil mix?
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:24 pm

philpdr wrote:Any idea if using the Millers would be any good when running with a diesel/veg oil mix?
Only used it with diesel so cannot say. I cannot see it doing much harm, might even help reduce wear in some places. Not sure of the science. (It is a cetane booster and would seem to be able to clean the fuel system as well)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:01 pm

I found just running with 25% veg oil seemed to make the engine run quieter / better!
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:06 am

mikeonb4c wrote:I found just running with 25% veg oil seemed to make the engine run quieter / better!
Interesting findings. One day I will add a few litres to a tank for the hell of it.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:45 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:I found just running with 25% veg oil seemed to make the engine run quieter / better!
Interesting findings. One day I will add a few litres to a tank for the hell of it.
I only ever did it in summer season as I didn't like the idea of lumpy starting and cold running especially as my commute each day is only 5 miles. But I put a few hundred litres through it with no problems at all.
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:12 pm

I do the same as you Mike,50/50 in the summer unless on a long run then I'll bump the veg up but diesel only in the winter.Was more interested in the Millers keeping things clean rather than the m.p.g.aspect.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:24 pm

In summer would adding 10L veg oil to a tank be essentially consequence free with no modifications ?
Always shy-ed from it as I heard filters etc. had to be changed and that things might not be lubricated correctly. If it reduced pollution a bit it would definitely be worthwhile as I like that idea.
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:46 pm

yep just bung it in and if you wish top up with diesel, in summer sometimes I use 80% rapeseed oil to diesel.
3peaks
Apprentice Bongonaut

34.5 MPG achieved average over 2750km from Ingleton to Dolom

Post by 3peaks » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:26 pm

Just Achieved 34.5 average over 6 fuel stops from Ingleton North Yorkshire via Hawich, Holland to Dolomites in Italy & back.
Not an eco run though used kick down when ever I needed to, 65mph cruise it's not a flat run quite hilly. No additives or special treatment just standard Diesel ( 2.5 TD).

Ps. Austria had cheapest less than a pound a litre :)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:31 pm

£1.32 was "hellishly expensive" diesel in 2015 on the Motorways.

Today for a motorway that would be an absolute bargain, and about normal
from a local petrol station, how times have changed.

I put a tenners worth in the other day along the M4 and it was £1.56 !

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”